• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

Here's an interesting hypothetical.  Let's say all of the models show 10-20" for NYC, except the Euro, which shows 4-6".  What do you do, if you're a forecaster?  Are we that far from that now, with the 18Z GFS going snowier (and I think all the rest of the models are showing 8-12" or more for NYC, no?).  We need a pinned scoreboard for each model with snowfall maps (and data tables for key cities), lol.  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest SREF is awful and likely unrealistic, due to some outlier ARW members that have excessive precipitation amounts where all other (non ARW) guidance essentially says there will be little/no precipitation. One member has more than 4" of liquid QPF for Syracuse, NY. Obviously this is going to significantly skew the mean towards much much higher amounts than should be expected.

In short, I don't find the SREF guidance to be useful for forecasting precipitation amounts in New England, and neither should anyone else without weeding out the outlier members.

yhKxlOw.jpg

The latest SREF is awful and likely unrealistic, due to some outlier ARW members that have excessive precipitation amounts where all other (non ARW) guidance essentially says there will be little/no precipitation. One member has more than 4" of liquid QPF for Syracuse, NY. Obviously this is going to significantly skew the mean towards much much higher amounts than should be expected.

Don did weed out those members and still had a significant increase to 1.08 for NYC

In short, I don't find the SREF guidance to be useful for forecasting precipitation amounts in New England, and neither should anyone else without weeding out the outlier members.

yhKxlOw.jpg

Don did weed out those members and nyc had 1.08 mean which was a significant increase.

yhKxlOw.jpg

I agree. That's why I am more interested in what's happening with the non-ARW members and give virtually no consideration to the ARW-derived RPM.

Here's an interesting hypothetical.  Let's say all of the models show 10-20" for NYC, except the Euro, which shows 4-6".  What do you do, if you're a forecaster?  Are we that far from that now, with the 18Z GFS going snowier (and I think all the rest of the models are showing 8-12" or more for NYC, no?).  We need a pinned scoreboard for each model with snowfall maps (and data tables for key cities), lol.

The opposite happened last year and they rode it hard. I would hate to be responsible for forecasting these things.

But a lot of those members you call more realistic and similar to the global models have ZERO precip into NYC. None of the globals show that.

Does this storm have ANYTHING dynamically in common with the big bust of 2003?

Do you mean 2001?

Don did weed out those members and nyc had 1.08 mean which was a significant increase.

Which members did he weed out? I'd argue that you'd need to remove close to all the ARW members to get anywhere close to a realistic forecast ensemble. This has been a recurring problem with SREF guidance, since the core dynamical models (ARW and NMMB) tend to cluster towards one another... and artificially produces member clustering that may not necessarily exist. 

Which members did he weed out? I'd argue that you'd need to remove close to all the ARW members to get anywhere close to a realistic forecast ensemble. This has been a recurring problem with SREF guidance, since the core dynamical models (ARW and NMMB) tend to cluster towards one another... and artificially produces member clustering that may not necessarily exist. 

All the ARW and MBP1. I still don't give it too much weight, though.

THE 00Z NAM BEGAN AND IS RUNNING ON TIME WITH 13 ALASKAN...30
CANADIAN...70 CONUS...AND 1 MEXICAN RAOB REPORTS AVAILABLE FOR
INGEST. NO CARIBBEAN RAOB REPORTS WERE RECEIVED FOR THE NAM.

7 WINTER STORM RECON DROPSONDES IN THE GULF OF MEXICO WERE
RECEIVED FOR THE 00Z NAM.

Archived