• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

Overall some improvements on the northern extent of the snow shield have taken place during the past two runs of the GFS:

HPN:

1/22 0z: 0.19"

1/22 6z: 0.49"

1/22 12z: 0.73"

POU:

1/22 0z: None

1/22 6z: 0.07"

1/22 12z: 0.17"

This expansion of the northern extent is also in reasonable agreement with the 12z RGEM and the 0z ECMWF.

Nice increases for NYC, too:

JFK:

1/22 0z: 0.85"

1/22 6z: 0.95"

1/22 12z: 1.23"

LGA:

1/22 0z: 0.58"

1/22 6z: 0.78"

1/22 12z: 1.14"

NYC:

1/22 0z: 0.56"

1/22 6z: 0.76"

1/22 12z: 1.18"

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone who is more model savvy than myself may know this but I believe models tend to forecast mesoscale bands too far south and east of where they actually occur. If I have that correct than the NAM is almost certainly out to lunch because I don't think our major banding will be north of I 84 if you shift its idea north a big

Someone who is more model savvy than myself may know this but I believe models tend to forecast mesoscale bands too far south and east of where they actually occur. If I have that correct than the NAM is almost certainly out to lunch because I don't think our major banding will be north of I 84 if you shift its idea north a big

It depends really. Most models can't FULLY resolve mesoscale features.

Very true-we often see a big un modeled band on the NW edge of the shield-I've seen it numerous times.

Higher resolution, single model, better design.  The SREF is flawed in its two-model design and mixing/matching of initial, boundary, and model perturbations.

NCAR-WRF mean is keeping the heaviest banding just south of NYC. I'm not confident in double digit accums in NYC with what we've seen so far at 12z. In addition, without the NAM's tucked in low I can't see how blizzard conditions verify (from a wind perspective).

NCAR-WRF mean is keeping the heaviest banding just south of NYC. I'm not confident in double digit accums in NYC with what we've seen so far at 12z. In addition, without the NAM's tucked in low I can't see how blizzard conditions verify (from a wind perspective).

Sure, but that's based on a 0Z run.

As just as a hobbyist - not sure if this is banter - but I'm trying to decipher what this means for MMU. They're only seems to be a handful of Morris County residents here. :unsure:  Thanks in advance!

(I cleaned off 2/6/2010 with my leafblower)

QPF at MMU is 1.27". Assuming a 9-11:1 snow ratio, that would mean 11.4"-14.0" snow.

Looking at the gfs hour by hour, against a few other runs at different hours, the model still clearly confused basically, about double barrel low or not... The way the isobars are and all, I'm not 100 buying the jump east. On the other hand, looking at the run, there slight ticks north collectively in a row now.

QPF at MMU is 1.27". Assuming a 9-11:1 snow ratio, that would mean 11.4"-14.0" snow

Thank you! I'd be pleased if that verified. My five-year old was lamenting the lack of snow in December; I tried to explain to him the concept of counting his blessings on snow, since he now seemingly receives annual storms of the century while Daddy had to grow up in the snow drought of the late 1980s and early 1990s. 

Most of the guidance is printing out 2 inches of liquid in CNJ.

There's a chance away from the wind these areas go 12 to 1 with those 850s and upward motion.

EPS /GFS are all 1.25 in NYC/LI so 12 to 15 looks possible.

What a roller coaster of emotions involved with following the guidance over the past week. I have shaved 3 years off my life.

Archived