joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any idea why there's a big difference b/w the regional/mesocale and globals with this storm?  You'd probably know better than anyone.  I've never seen the GFS and ECWMF in a camp together arrayed against the others . . .

I don't take the parent (12km) NAM seriously, especially when it differs from its nest (4km).  I also tend to ignore the SREFs in favor of the NCAR WRF ensemble system: http://ensemble.ucar.edu/

Having said that, I have only just started paying attention to the northern part of this forecast as I'm always fascinated by these aspects.  I haven't done enough digging to be able to say anything intelligent about the "why" with respect to the differences.

I've always thought of the RGEM as an excellent model for predicting snow amounts, especially at this range. From 6z to 12z, it has pretty much held it's ground showing big amounts around the Philly area and lighter up toward NYC. It can't be discounted at this range simply because the NAM shows more than 5x the amount of snow. There are also discrepancies between the two NAM models. While both give us a lot of snow, one complete annihilates the area (12km NAM). I think the NWS call for 6-10/8-12 is a great call right now. It would not be a wise move to go crazy and up amounts based on the NAM and SREFs, which I believe are the least reliable models (not sure if that is actually true, but I'm saying this based on what I've seen them do before even this close to the onset of precipitation)

I've always thought of the RGEM as an excellent model for predicting snow amounts, especially at this range. From 6z to 12z, it has pretty much held it's ground showing big amounts around the Philly area and lighter up toward NYC. It can't be discounted at this range simply because the NAM shows more than 5x the amount of snow. There are also discrepancies between the two NAM models. While both give us a lot of snow, one complete annihilates the area (12km NAM). I think the NWS call for 6-10/8-12 is a great call right now. It would not be a wise move to go crazy and up amounts based on the NAM and SREFs, which I believe are the least reliable models (not sure if that is actually true, but I'm saying this based on what I've seen them do before even this close to the onset of precipitation)

I agree with you... however even the UKMET and EURO showed more up through the area then the RGEM.

I don't take the parent (12km) NAM seriously, especially when it differs from its nest (4km).  I also tend to ignore the SREFs in favor of the NCAR WRF ensemble system: http://ensemble.ucar.edu/

Having said that, I have only just started paying attention to the northern part of this forecast as I'm always fascinated by these aspects.  I haven't done enough digging to be able to say anything intelligent about the "why" with respect to the differences.

My quibble with those ensembles is that they seem unrealistically tight.  Right now they have a 6" gradient in mean snowfall in 30 miles (BLM-JFK).  That seems improbably certain to me - isn't there more uncertainty than that  even if you knew almost precisely what the initial conditions were?

It's just amazing to me how the low reforms to the East and pulls everything with it.

GFS_MSLPThickQPF_ne_f30.png?v=1453477081

Well, it keeps doing it. We're obviously not going to have any model consensus for this Blizzard, much like we didn't for last year's busted storm. Now it's just a matter of whether we lose again.

The NAM's likely overdone and too far north with heavy snow-shocker. Let's just hope the very heavy banding that will hit south of Trenton can make it to the NYC area. If it washes out like the RGEM has, NYC will have a very tough time making it to double digit snowfall.

Another 25-30 mile shift North on the GFS and it's very similar to the NAM. Regardless of what some may say about the globals, I always favor the higher res models inside of 36 hours.

Archived