SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather is a educated guess no more, no less the fun is in the chase. know matter the credentials it is fascinating, look aviation and marine forecasts are more dire because of the immediate consequences. I'm not in the snow game anymore but i'm rooting for you guys its like an adrenaline rush but once you get the fix theres a let down been there .see ya

The way this baby is set up, someone just inland from the coast between wash d.c and n.y.c is going to get more then 2 feet of snow,all these trends add up to a historic winter storm for pretty much everyone on this board.But the nam model is looking ever so brilliant as these hours tick down,all recent short range guidance also points to n.y.c getting rocked by heavy snow and blizzard conditions very early tomm morning thru sunday morning.we are within the 24 hour window b.t.w. :snowing:  :popcorn:

This cannot be ignored any longer ant.....have you seen the NMM ensembles.. 1 day ago they were almost 0" misses, now only 4 are whiffs

i've been on the the snowier side of guidance for 5 days now,70% of this board thought i was going crazy or just ranting but rest assured i was on top of it my friend.now we are within the cusp of a historical event here in the mid-atlantic- northeast.

I still dont like GFS/Euro having the same solution.... Deadly combo 90% of the time IMO... And it should throw a red flag that nams out to lunch, when the 12k, and 4K are so drastically different

Exactly! People need to realize that even within its range, the NAM isn't a great model and always overdoes QPF. The guys on the radio show even laughed about it last night! Nothing wrong with factoring it in and blending with other solutions, but ... just cause it shows what we want it to show doesn't mean it's got this thing pegged.

Their probabilities for NYC are hilarious:

Min: <1"

Likely: 9"

Max: 23"

>12" : 47%

>18": 23%

They're basically saying, "your guess is as good as ours!"

Well, isn't weather forecasting based on probabilities? Why is this so different from when they say "chance of rain, 50%" in a regular forecast?

Exactly! People need to realize that even within its range, the NAM isn't a great model and always overdoes QPF. The guys on the radio show even laughed about it last night! Nothing wrong with factoring it in and blending with other solutions, but ... just cause it shows what we want it to show doesn't mean it's got this thing pegged.

That is true however ukmet was great. Euro moved north and so did its ensembles and gfs ensembles. RGEM went in better direction so the overall pattern can't be ignored either.

This will cheer up even the biggest humbug. Steve D, I know some have serious reservations, is goin with 10-15 ( with potential for 20 with banding). Only reason Im sharing Video here is the explanation in the 9 minute video is highly admirable, not because it offers the solution many of us want but because of its simplicity and scientific specifity. Ie. he puts it together surprisngly well. I must admist he pisses me off, at times, but the man is a pro.

https://nynjpaweather.com/public/2016/01/22/video-discussion-for-january-22-2016/

I could easily see a nam track, with slightly less QPF...I'm telling you guys.. The confluence is over modeled, and that double barrel low is not gonna happen and drag this thing east as quick, go look at the current vort compared to GFS and euro, they aren't even close

I think there is a decent shot that DC somewhat gets the shaft. In order for them to get the really high amounts they need to catch the deformation band on the backside and the NAM was very close to dry slotting them permanently before noon tomorrow. Right now that doesn't look to be the case, but it's almost to that point.

Keep in mind by getting the shaft, they are still getting around 2" LE but places to the North and West would be in the 3"+ category.  

I could easily see a nam track, with slightly less QPF...I'm telling you guys.. The confluence is over modeled, and that double barrel low is not gonna happen and drag this thing east as quick, go look at the current vort compared to GFS and euro, they aren't even close

I always take the nam and cut the QPF in half. It is getting in its good range now.  We'll see. 12z run will be interesting.

It is unusual to have a spread that large less than 24 hours before onset.

Maybe that's the "new normal". Every storm, people always complain when they miss accum totals in their forecast. This may be a way of using probabilities to inform the public ... and actually make the forecast more accurate. Granted, it isn't "definitive" and exact, but it does make allowances for variations. It's really impossible to nail an accum forecast for the entire NYC metro area for many reasons.

Archived