joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean it's starting within 12 hr. for many of us.  For the NAM to be so wrong this close in after such consistency would be pretty shocking.  I'd never look at it again.  Plus it's been leading the evangelist for heavier QPF

Even if you lop 40% off the ridic QPF printouts, which is prudent, you take 2.5-3.0 QPF and turn it into 1.5-1.8 which verifies as 15-22" areawide.

I think that's well within the realm of possibility here.

And good lord, those rates it's advertising... 3-5 per given massive in flow at all levels and steep isentropic slope.  In many ways the confluence to the north helps with the lift. 

I mean it's starting within 12 hr. for many of us.  For the NAM to be so wrong this close in after such consistency would be pretty shocking.  I'd never look at it again.  Plus it's been leading the evangelist for heavier QPF

Even if you lop 40% off the ridic QPF printouts, which is prudent, you take 2.5-3.0 QPF and turn it into 1.5-1.8 which verifies as 15-22" areawide.

And good lord, those rates it's advertising... 3-5 per given massive in flow at all levels and steep isentropic slope.  In many ways the confluence to the north helps with the lift. 

i posted about subsidence helping us in sne. i really think 12" is going to be the floor of this event for us

I mean it's starting within 12 hr. for many of us. For the NAM to be so wrong this close in after such consistency would be pretty shocking. I'd never look at it again. Plus it's been leading the evangelist for heavier QPF

And good lord, those rates it's advertising... 3-5 per given massive in flow at all levels and steep isentropic slope. In many ways the confluence to the north helps with the lift.

Very good point. That's exactly what we had with the mega band offshore 2/10 if it had been 30 miles north the south shore would have done 20"

Yes, as long as temps remain below freezing which they are forecasted and the snow comes I could see two feet drifts.

...i always worry about c/o scenerios..us east enders are always on the edge..but looking @ all

"future casts" seems rain/snow line is pretty far S and E..

You're a met, right? I'm not. You tell me ... has the NAM ever been counted as an outlier, or completely thrown out, or just blended in with other models to create the forecast? It seems to me (and I'm not a met and maybe my memory just isn't perfect) that the NAM is always extreme with QPF. We will find out soon enough. But what are your historical observations on the NAM?

Alert issued on 1/22/16 at 3:30 PM. Mayor De Blasio has declared a Winter Weather Emergency as of 8:00AM Saturday, January 23, 2016. New York City is expecting 12-18 inches of snow, with sustained winds of 25 to 30mph with gusts up to 50 MPH. These weather conditions will create dangerous travel conditions including slippery roads and limited visibilities. New Yorkers are strongly advised to stay off the roads except in the event of an emergency. If you must travel, use mass transit.

The sender provided the following contact information. 
Sender's Name: Notify NYC 
Sender's Email: [email protected] 
Sender's Contact Phone: (212) 639-9675

Alert issued on 1/22/16 at 3:30 PM. Mayor De Blasio has declared a Winter Weather Emergency as of 8:00AM Saturday, January 23, 2016. New York City is expecting 12-18 inches of snow, with sustained winds of 25 to 30mph with gusts up to 50 MPH. These weather conditions will create dangerous travel conditions including slippery roads and limited visibilities. New Yorkers are strongly advised to stay off the roads except in the event of an emergency. If you must travel, use mass transit.

You're a met, right? I'm not. You tell me ... has the NAM ever been counted as an outlier, or completely thrown out, or just blended in with other models to create the forecast? It seems to me (and I'm not a met and maybe my memory just isn't perfect) that the NAM is always extreme with QPF. We will find out soon enough. But what are your historical observations on the NAM?

It is usually overdone, sometimes grossly overdone.  I usually trim off 40% of the NAM's QPF output...

But it isn't worthless, especially inside 36-48.  Has more than once led the way on specific aspects of storms.

It is usually overdone, sometimes grossly overdone.  I usually trim off 40% of the NAM's QPF output...

But it isn't worthless, especially inside 36-48.  Has more than once led the way on specific aspects of storms.

Understood. But the way everyone here is posting, one would think that they expect the NAM QPF to verify. To factor in other aspects? Sure, that may make sense.

Archived