joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parts of my town flooded with the last storm, which will be nowhere near as intense as this one. It won't be anything like Sandy, but in an extreme scenario I could see this resembling Dec 1992.

I said yesterday something a little less the 92. More like Irene, Gloria, 93 and 91

Pretty bad. Most roads underwater some structure flooding

Down by AC even worse there it could be top 3 all time

I'm hearing reports on Twitter ( a pretty respectful Met in philly) that reports around the area (not philly itself) is that Virga is surprisingly not occurring despite low dew points? Can someone with a little more knowledge explain.. Why this would be the case.. And if it shows that the confluence may be weaker?

Could be related to cloud microphysics. Chemical CCNs with high affinities for water can last longer in the atmosphere than dirt, clay, etc CCNs (with minimal evaporation). Could be related to density of CCNs as well. This would be localized if this were the case, though.

What's becoming clear is that what will make or break this storm from really taking off past 10" around NYC will be if the tucked in low can hang on with its dynamics vs whatever forms well east. The GFS kills off the close in low and takes the dynamics with it, which weakens the CCB and delivers much less precip than the NAM. The same process also keeps it further south overall. NYC is locked in for probably a foot, but if the tucked in low stays around longer like the NAM, there could be 20"+.

What's becoming clear is that what will make or break this storm from really taking off past 10" around NYC will be if the tucked in low can hang on with its dynamics vs whatever forms well east. The GFS kills off the close in low and takes the dynamics with it, which weakens the CCB and delivers much less precip than the NAM. The same process also keeps it further south overall. NYC is locked in for probably a foot, but if the tucked in low stays around longer like the NAM, there could be 20"+.

Bernie Rayno said that it's not the case of the second low taking over but because the dry air push coming in on the GFS is much stronger than the NAM which in turn weakens the ULL and pushes it East. The NAM keeps everything in tact longer.

Archived