SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not forecasting this event thankfully but I would be terrified in NYC that the dynamics of the low hang on just a few hours longer or the close off is a tad late or reopens and that crap over TTN makes it an additional 50-70 miles northeast. This isn't as cut and dried as 2/6/10 where the confluence was stronger and you could be pretty sure the models were right

This really is Feb 2010 all over again (if the NAM is wrong). I remember thinking that although something like that was really annoying, it would probably not happen again to that extreme (Boston getting hammered while we are left out is fairly common. Philly getting 20-30" while we get a few inches is NOT something you'd expect to ever see again). However, this is going to be a really fun storm to follow.....some place is going to get over 40" I think

This really is Feb 2010 all over again (if the NAM is wrong). I remember thinking that although something like that was really annoying, it would probably not happen again to that extreme (Boston getting hammered while we are left out is fairly common. Philly getting 20-30" while we get a few inches is NOT something you'd expect to ever see again)

It's just mind-numblingly painful.  I'm truly nauseated.  

12z and 00z

Ahh, that does look a little better for NYC. Much better for Philly and central NJ-their snow totals pretty much doubled. 

I'm not sure anymore this will be a "dynamic" snow system where VA/MD get blasted and then it falls apart over NJ the way some models had it earlier. It'll probably be a huge wall of snow east to west that hits the dry air wall somewhere and comes to a complete stop. 

This really is Feb 2010 all over again (if the NAM is wrong). I remember thinking that although something like that was really annoying, it would probably not happen again to that extreme (Boston getting hammered while we are left out is fairly common. Philly getting 20-30" while we get a few inches is NOT something you'd expect to ever see again)

Yea, well perhaps its just the particular location of NYC relative to where storms form and track, high pressure systems... that make it likelier here than elsewhere.

Yea, well perhaps its just the particular location of NYC relative to where storms form and track, high pressure systems... that make it likelier here than elsewhere.

NYC is a transitional area in the Northeast between southern, moisture loaded systems predominating and northern stream clipper type systems that bomb off the coast. NYC can get nailed by both, but also shafted by both and NYC is often on the have/have nots line. There are some rare seasons like 2003-04 where NYC gets lucky and the I-80 corridor gets the lion share of the winter weather, but they're few and far between. 

With an accumulation gradient as severe as this, we are going to have a really high level of disparity for NYC from model to model and run to run. This will truly be a nowcast storm...unless everything folds to the NAM. If you live in the Metro, there is still potential for a blizzard.

The UKMET still looks like it's nearly double digits into even NYC and the Bronx

Navgem is north and gives NYC 12 +

Hmm, I thought Central Park had a foot from that? Anyway, what a mess for NYC forecasters tonight. God help them. It just seems like big NYC snow events aren't "done deals" like they can be days in advance in Boston or DC. DC has been pegged to get nailed for the past 3-4 days, and Juno as well as Nemo were pegged to nail Boston for several days prior. NYC seems to be on the cliff's edge one way or another in these.

This is way harder than 2010. This is like trying to forecast for the Brunswick Cranbury Trenton corridor in the 2010 storm, you knew they weren't getting shutout but at the same time there was risk in only going 3-4 inches because 10-15 was easily possible

With an accumulation gradient as severe as this, we are going to have a really high level of disparity for NYC from model to model and run to run. This will truly be a nowcast storm...unless everything folds to the NAM. If you live in the Metro, there is still potential for a blizzard.

Well 5" with 40 mph winds for 3 hours is a blizzard so totals dont have to be outrageous.

Archived