joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of 2016 - Official Obs Thread

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the 0C 850 mb line is just north of the county. Hope it continues to move south (and there are no other stealth warm layers).[/quote

was wondering about that ... I know u pretty much called this sleetfest yesterday, in jest, but as usual it came to fruition... I'd still like a couple inches of snow to top my 3-4" of sleet though

It looks like it's about over. Correct me if im wrong. 

Once the ULL starts pulling through/wrapping around and interacts with the coastal, I certainly don't think it's over. 

Radar looks robust crossing the GA/SC line, as well as back around ATL and into AL. Now I certainly don't expect all of this to stay intact, but snow showers/squalls should linger for quite a while, in my amateur opinion.

Good luck down there!

I kept the freezing rain at bay so far save a glaze. Just got in from playing outside in the sleet and wind with my dogs, love the quietness this time of day during a winter storm. Approaching 3", so this storm has met my 2-4" expectation. Roads have to be worsening, neighborhood was a skating rink earlier, this powdery sleet is now over the solid, compacted layer.

Once the ULL starts pulling through/wrapping around and interacts with the coastal, I certainly don't think it's over. 

Radar looks robust crossing the GA/SC line, as well as back around ATL and into AL. Now I certainly don't expect all of this to stay intact, but snow showers/squalls should linger for quite a while, in my amateur opinion.

I see that. Low is pretty strong and more SE than modeled. Well see how this goes. 

I agree with you deac...I don't think this is over, esp for central nc...moderate ZR here coming down and it's gusty...hearing trees creak hoping to keep the lights on.  But you're right there's juice down in AL and not sure what the low will do once it gets out to the coast

2 more branches down in the driveway. Airport peak gust has been 30mph. Not good for these ice crusted pines. Still a lot of snapping around the neighborhoood. Can hear/feel the occasional "thump" when a large one comes down.

What surprised me in the photo I posted above... the end of the branch that was attached to the tree ended up 30' away from the trunk. Somehow, it did a 180° flip when it broke off.

Archived