SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Blizzard of 2016 - Official Obs Thread

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is so weird to me. I am in K'dale and we have not had 1 flake. Right now it is pouring outside. It is rain but not sure if that is freezing rain. It is so heavy and just looks like normal rain to me.

I think the transition is coming from the west. I'm in east raleigh and i see flakes mixed with sleet

Wow should be on here soon with a snow report. Charlotte area should be seeing flakes within next hour per radar.

By the way next week has a great looking threat . Already getting sucked back in. Just looked at ensembles and man the euros look sexy at 5h.

made my wife mad when I told her about next week...and yes we're not even into February yet...more winter weather is coming

That is so weird to me. I am in K'dale and we have not had 1 flake. Right now it is pouring outside. It is rain but not sure if that is freezing rain. It is so heavy and just looks like normal rain to me.

In Knightdale, you are far enough east that the incoming waa puts you under a thick enough part of the warm nose that its all liquid falling. Looks like your surface is near freezing though, so its likely zr.

Well ended up with a foot of snow that fell as sleet. So ended up with like 4 inches of sleet. Probably like but saying 4 to make myself feel better about this crap. M

Now we just need to top it off with a couple fluffy inches tonight (hopefully) and call it a win? :)

But 4 inches of sleet is pretty crazy.  Never seen this much of the stuff... until tonight.

In Knightdale, you are far enough east that the incoming waa puts you under a thick enough part of the warm nose that its all liquid falling. Looks like your surface is near freezing though, so its likely zr.

so that isn't good to hear, if it is freezing rain. It is coming down hard, and rolling off of my car, not sticking. Could that still be freezing rain?

so that isn't good to hear, if it is freezing rain. It is coming down hard, and rolling off of my car, not sticking. Could that still be freezing rain?

Uh, I'm going to go with NO?

The question about transition from sleet back to snow for Richmond; I can't quote you for some reason, but probably sometime towards daybreak tomorrow, give or take an hour or two. I have not looked closely at it though.

Yeah, I looked at the RAP soundings going forward and RIC is going to struggle with that same 750-850 mb layer that screwed most of us over.  They may flip back during heavy rates, but it's really hard to tell.  I guess there's a reason places like where we live and RIC don't get huge snows very much.

The temps are really climbing in eastern areas so you might be right at freezing or slightly above. Hopefully slightly above so as to not gather any more ice accural.  :)

Temps will crash again one the slp gets far enough east of us.

Lol, why don't you go out and take some pics of trees and your car.  I'm pretty sure you're getting freezing rain if you're below freezing.

Archived