Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Blizzard of 2016 - Official Obs Thread

mackerel_sky

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.  The Clemson webcams have shown snow for about an hour, and it's starting to stick to the ground and roads there. 

Hm, it must look like snow on the cams, but it's sleet. The ground has turned white, however. I am hopeful for a flip over to snow later this afternoon.

Hm, it must look like snow on the cams, but it's sleet. The ground has turned white, however. I am hopeful for a flip over to snow later this afternoon.

same here - dropped to 29 now and mostly sleet instead of zr.  radar looks empty but there is light sleet falling at the moment.  looks like about .2 glaze or so and the sleet is already making it white lol

I'm in Knightdale and just walked the neighborhood. The ice is slushy in areas and water running down the street drains. Doesn't it only do that above freezing? Seems like it wouldn't turn to water otherwise.?

Ground temps are different than air temps.

My Obs: In my neck of the woods i'm mostly sleet with some thin snowflakes flitting about.

Ground temps are different than air temps.

My Obs: In my neck of the woods i'm mostly sleet with some thin snowflakes flitting about.

okay makes sense. So this is a good thing possibly? Will the ice be less b/c it is warmer? 

edited to add: I mean accumulation

okay makes sense. So this is a good thing possibly? Will the ice be less b/c it is warmer? 

edited to add: I mean accumulation

Knightdale is a whole different animal than western wake where I am.  Knightdale will probably see more Frz Rain accumulation on elevated surfaces and trees and not much ice on the road.  If you switch or stay as snow/sleet, then you will get accumulation on the roads.

My area of wake should see more sleet accumulation on the roads and less of the frz rain accumulation on elevated surfaces.  But it doesn't take much freezing rain to cause issues.

Archived