• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WxBob
    Newest Member
    WxBob
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Guys, forget about the sleet to the south. No chance it gets here like that. It will come in from the east during the pivot. How far east? IMHO- the fall line is prob the furthest. Might not make it past the bay. For next 8 hours just enjoy the snow.

Shoveled 2nd time. Heavier icy snow this time. Rimed flakes falling now. Too tired to take more than a half dozen measurements but we here in PW have between 5.5-6. Thats what I got. Leesburg, Jeb or Bristow confirm?

6-7" over here...it is wet though

If the storm kicks out a bit further east, that area will too. Just my guess based on what I see.

I hope so because it does get old seeing the same places jackpot and there are far fewer people there anyway; a jackpot over DC would satisfy a lot more weenies and the guys on the ridges wouldn't miss it much as high winds whip their 20 inches of snow all over the place.

Sleet hasn't progressed north....last couple of frames of the loop show it collapsing slightly. DC/NOVA will be all snow.

FYI - PL = Plain Rain....don't give people heart attacks.  Sleet = IP.

I hope so because it does get old seeing the same places jackpot and there are far fewer people there anyway; a jackpot over DC would satisfy a lot more weenies and the guys on the ridges wouldn't miss it much as high winds whip their 20 inches of snow all over the place.

Oh I would miss it :)

Our development is already snow blowing and shovelling but I think I got a decent measurement of between 4.5" and 5.5" in Herndon.  Anyone else in my area that can confirm?  Maybe out in Sterling (I'm right on the Loudon line)?

RadarScope, costs like $10 but it's worth it.

If you want free, go with anything that has NWS base radar available. The one I used to use was RadarNow.

HRRR keeps upping the game.  20"+ the next 15 hours for 95 corridor.  More for NoVA. 

:o

HRRR has been doing that for the past few runs

It could end up close...I don't mean the hinterlands way NW either.

Agree with Chill. During these storms in the past, the pingers showed up turning the height as the low passed nearby. They clear out once the low moves away and pulls cold air behind it. Too early for pingers DC and north.

Dc is good. No ping.

Well he is in Chesapeake away from the water

Believable as I work in Norfolk and it got a quick 1-2 but I live at the Beach and snow quickly turned to rain and sleet so freezing rain may have happened,  still waiting on the wind,  Thought it would be cranking by now,

It could end up close...I don't mean the hinterlands way NW either.

Agreed. Some of the analysis posts here with graphics looked pretty healthy to me near the Beltway for later on.