• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Fozz, anything down your way? Saw an mPING snow report up near Gunpowder State Park

Very small flakes flying in Hunt Valley.

Awesome! I told my coworkers by 3pm. Go me.

Don't know the reason why it's there but it always is 24/7. Easy to fill in the blanks. If you see high dbz returns in that zone it means it's crushing. Lol

Beam blockage from some of the mountains WSW of the radar. It's particularly noticeable in snowstorms because of their shallow nature - the beam has about a 1 degree width, so if the bottom half is blocked, it might miss more of the precip than it would for a deeper system. Satellite-based radar echo tops are in the 3-6 km range:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZWBiC-UgAALaKD.png:large

Moral of the story is not to get worried when radar returns seem empty or weak at long distances - it could very well be the beam overshooting the bulk of the precip.

In Gaithersburg, instant accumulation on any surface that wasn't caked in salt.

FOLKS PLEASE REMEMBER TO POST YOUR GENERAL LOCATION

Temps are really cooling, down to 22 degrees/22 dewpoint. Road crews are gonna get their asses handed to em tryin to keep those road open. Its not just the cold; its the snow rates, and that WIND, building drifts later tonight

Awesome! I told my coworkers by 3pm. Go me.

I said between 1-3 thanks to all you guys on this board. I've learned a ton and appreciate all the great insight.

So nice not to lose a single flake to melting, etc.  Instant accumulation on all surfaces.  Wind seems to be picking up a tad.

Was just saying that to my wife. Meant nothing to her.

Leaving Ohio for VA now. Where's the best spot to be? Was thinking Winchester.

Come on down! I dont know if we will bullseye but Its definitely a good place to watch the storm.

Wow, I thought you might be hallucinating. But there are indeed tiny and sporadic flakes in the air. (Balt City/AA Co. line)

It was extremely faint, but there were some flakes falling. Waiting for the real snow now.

I'm not Fozz but i have some stray flakes.

Cool, thanks. I'm patiently waiting

KDCA with .05 inches of QPF. Winds have increase to 13.8 mph from the NNE and visibility is down to half-a-mile. Ceiling is down to 1400 feet too. Looks pretty intense on live feed. 20-25 DBZ returns all around KDCA. Radar looks very nice for Washington! I wouldn't call it a band, but it's certainly in good position to pummel the city for a couple hours.