Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30" for Wes or bust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to use the snow blower in a few minutes but after looking at the NAM and hearing the wind start to howl decided it's a lost cause. I'm impressed that all the models have remained so buliish.  The Euro remains the least bullsih giving me 18 to 20.  Actaully, I think the .20 of the NAMS QPF  from the 00Z has already fallen so I'd only looking at another 2.00" if the juicy usually overdone NAM were right.  It has a high bias for higher thresholds so it's probalby overdone. 

Just came in from the first snow blower run. Measured 6.75" - 7.0" in various spots. Snowing hard here. Wind picking up. By the time I had finished clearing the drive, another 1/5th an inch had built up on the asphalt.

We seem to be in the same bands and rates...good stuff

(Great) Blizzard of 2016 Observations

1:30pm--0.0", -SN

2:30pm--0.1", -SN (close to SN, dusting on secondary roads)

3:30pm--0.7", SN (light wind, secondary roads covered, main roads with slushy accumulation)

4:30pm--1.3", SN (same as last update, but with main roads covered now)

5:30pm--1.9", SN (closing in on +SN with dropping visibility, first notable wind gusts appearing)

6:30pm--2.3", SN (everything covered heavily, minor gusts)

7:30pm--3.5", SN (suspect hour, looks like drifting has begun, used multiple neighborhood measurements)

8:30pm--4.3", SN (prior hour ob confirmed, breezy)

I know I'm lurking from up in NH.  Technically you are suppose to clear your measuring board (or if your doing multiple locations) every 6 hours. If you just keep measuring the same place every hour the totals are a bit less cause the weight of the new snow suppresses the snow below.  You could do both to compare.

Enjoy!

Coastal just went NSFW on us. 

Visibility just dropped - A hell of a lot. Heavy snow is being actively whipped by 28 mph gusts out of the NNE. 

I have been keeping a log of how much snow per hour has fallen back when drifting was not yet a problem

From those logs, plus careful observation of visibility conditions and certain corroborative data points derived from at least forty points in my yard that have known heights, it is obvious that we are piling up a ridiculous amount of snow in Dale City.

This blizzard is going to utterly destroy this entire region.

Archived