joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me a lot of PD2 so far.  Same type of snow for the 1st 6 hours.  Of course synoptically they are way different.  

- FYI, try to be more zen about the storm.  The tracking and chase is phase one.  But we are now in phase two, and you just have to appreciate what happens, and realize you can't control it.  Enjoy watching it unfold and be in the moment.  We're going to get a lot of snow.  People are obsessed with amounts.  Regardless of the storm.  Stop obsessing over amounts.  

7pm in Dale City with 5.6 inches, steady snow, winds are increasing with time, I recorded a northerly wind gust to 22 mph in the past 15 minutes. I have noticed, whilst getting snow depth readings, that a small amount of snow is beginning to occasionally blow off of the houses all around me. In fact, just as i turned to go back into the house, I received a faceful of snow that blew off of my roof.

Gonna be a lotta face shots as this evening progresses. I'm truly lovin this storm. Cant even believe all the snow yet to come!!!!

7:00 Update

Moderate Snow 

20 Degrees

Dew 19

3.9 Inches total accum.

1.3 inches last 3 hours. 

The snow has really started to pick up. I am a little disappointed with my accum's over the past 3 hours. About .4 per hour. Had a nasty lull for a while though. It's almost time for the main event.

i actually like this kind of snow.  small flakes, powder.  this is my favorite type of snow.  not a big fan of the wetter snow.  this feels like an upper midwest storm.

You can get huge dendrites, ie powder, with very cold temps. Its all about UVV, and temps in the snow growth region.

Archived