Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting

Ian

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wrf-nmm_asnow_eus_48.png

41 near Culpeper? Looks like me buying dedicated snow tires in September and a snowblower on Monday was a great call. I could probably do enough work with the snowblower to pay for itself.

Started snowing here in Culpeper about 11:15.

went to montgomery mall to get a quick bite and it was CLOSED.  someone on the speaker said there were only 2 associates left in the building.  state of emergency in effect.  went to home depot after to pick up a shovel and it was still pretty busy there.  gas station was packed too.  gonna go later for that (got a 1/4 tank).

looks like main roads are starting to get more pockets of snow on them and hearing less cars on the road now.

in other news, i traded my camry in for a wrangler before the winter of 13/14.  i think i timed things pretty well as far as that's concerned.

fun storm.

Saw first flakes in Rock Creek Park at 1255. There were quite a few people there, actually. I wish I lived a bit closer. It's about a mile and 3/4 walk there and that might be a bit of a challenge to negotiate during a blizzard.

Not sticking to the roads yet, must be the sun angle. :whistle:

Kidding aside, it's sticking with more authority at the outset than it did at the start of 2/5-6. So we're not "wasting QPF."

A road crew was prepositioning salt (or whatever) on Wisconsin just now. All these cars were lined up behind three snow removal trucks that were three abreast in echelon on the northbound lanes. Obedient or maybe opportunistic drivers, take your pick. Anyway, one of the road crew from the lead truck started gesticulating rather avidly at the cars, yelling for the drivers to move around them. 

Tales from the "life-threatening" storm of 2016.

Archived