SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew this was going to be a mostly sleet event first thing this morning for mby. What I think is the biggest surprise is the low qpf. All the models had a lot of it, close to 1.5-2 inches in western NC. It has mainly been anemic all day, hit and miss.

We should end up around 1" which would be right in line with the "cut QPF in half" rule that is always wise to follow. I won't lie and thought we might actually meet those forecast amounts just due to how things have been the past few months but we will fall short unless the ULL has a surprise up its sleeve. Still a high impact event for here due to temps and how roads covered with sleet are more treacherous than snow covered roads IMO.

Besides WRAL, I've heard rumors of other TV stations existing in the Raleigh market with their own Meteorologists. Sometimes I wonder about them. Are they conservative too? Are we overlooking someone who might deserve to be respected/scrutinized/hated/loved/known as much as the Fishel posse?

But to find out, I'd have to switch off WRAL into the great unknown. Can't do that. I might miss one of Greg's really great puns.

Looks like the precip is falling apart as it moves into GA from AL. Or I could have no clue what I'm talking about.

Nope that's what u see...energy transfer to coastal...that'd why I never buy into backside blah blah.

Got .25" frozen crap and a dusting of snow here. Actually less than I thought. 1.60ish rain.

Northern parts of Oconee fared pretty well though.

By looking at the confluence in the northeast plus several mets saying the wedge wasn't arriving fast enough? The warm nose was showing up pretty well.

Warm nose always happens to some extent. Even some of the big CAD events, where surface temps were in the lower 20s, I can remember it changing to sleet and ZR towards the end.

Nope that's what u see...energy transfer to coastal...that'd why I never buy into backside blah blah.

Got .25" frozen crap and a dusting of snow here. Actually less than I thought. 1.60ish rain.

Northern parts of Oconee fared pretty well though.

Yep, backside snow here in north Georgia is almost NEVER going to workout for significant accumulations unless you have a March '93 type of storm. 

What have we (hopefully) learned from this "storm"?

1. Never trust QPF amounts on Global models

2. When the NAM is within 36 hours and tells you something you don't like, believe it!

3. No model gets the track and timing just right

4. When TV mets are considered to be too conservative, they know better than the models

5. Wrap around from a coastal transfer seldom works out

6. If you are counting on dynamics to save you, don't

7. There will ALWAYS be a warm nose (outside the mtns) regardless of what a model shows

8. We seldom get a storm with "just snow" for the vast majority here

9. There will be some who will win on the totals and some who will not

10.DC and the MA will outperform us every single time

Well said! Took me up until this winter to learn and believe bUT it sunk in this time. For the first time I'm not disappointed bc I got what I expected just .75" less snow...lol

Well said! Took me up until this winter to learn and believe bUT it sunk in this time. For the first time I'm not disappointed bc I got what I expected just .75" less snow...lol

Yep. After last February's screw job it is no longer a suprise to see the upstate area under perform with these systems.

Yep. After last February's screw job it is no longer a suprise to see the upstate area under perform with these systems.

I'm convinced very significant snowfall won't be modeled or forecast beforehand.  Anytime we are forecast to receive large amounts it's always a fail.  It shouldn't be surprising when these storms don't put down as much snow as shown.  How often do we see widespread 10"+ amounts around the southeast?  In reality 1-3" and 4-6" are more common in larger swaths with small stripes of 8-12" and isolated spots of 12"+.  We just don't see larger swaths of deep snow here.

In an ironic twist, apparenty a cable line has been broken some where but we still have power. No cable/internet at the moment

Our cable went out too. It always does though. Dh decided to make a homemade antenna and it works! Bye bye Timewarner! I'm tired of paying for their crappy service.

Remember how positive and optimistic he was pre-storm and telling people they were trolling because they were predicting exactly what is happening now in realtime. Cynical and jaded Brick has finally arrived.

There's are a couple of people who do troll. All they do is post pessimistic and sarcastic stuff just to troll others.

Archived