• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

Tired of the stupid QPF on these models and am ignoring them from now on. Not one of them has been right for my area. Still have some time, but losing patience.

Agreed. The models have been terrible with the qpf. I don't think I would want to be in the bullseye of any of the models right now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not correct. Snow was 85 north! Models showed south of 85 with alot of zr and sleet and some showing zr to CAE! Our local NBC met was saying 1-4" still at noon, N and S of 85 in greenville county

This simply isn't true in fact it's so untrue you are the one on thin ice. Most modeling did not have temps below 85 over most of the southwest/southern upstate going below freezing until late morning or this afternoon from east to west and when most of the heavy rain had already moved past. Not a single person here that I recall ever said there would be major ice south of 85 in general...nor did gsp. It was said over and over that 85 was likely the dividing line between light icing and more significant icing. You are either being delusional or intentionally trying to mislead..so end it here.

This simply isn't true in fact it's so untrue you are the one on thin ice. Most modeling did not have temps below 85 going below freezing until this afternoon when most of the heavy rain had already moved past. Not a single person here that I recall ever said there would be major ice south of 85 in general...nor did gsp. It was said over and over that 85 was likely the dividing line between light icing and more significant icing. You are either being delusional or intentionally trying to mislead..so end it here.

Not delisional! Look at the map on ch 4, it's exactly as I stated. Call the met and ask him yourself. The radar or rpm they were showing, had ice over my house by 3 am. There are great people and mets on here, but our met made this map, so..

Not delisional! Look at the map on ch 4, it's exactly as I stated. Call the met and ask him yourself. The radar or rpm they were showing, had ice over my house by 3 am. There are great people and mets on here, but our met made this map, so..

I would drop it if I were you.  You don't even know if they were showing a radar a model or the Panthers game.

A band finally made it to Boone and it's a flipping sleet storm. This system is an absolute joke and was modeled poorly by every single model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:weenie: Truth is you're not going to get much sympathy around here being a Boone Resident. Boone gets snow in freaking July when it's 100 degrees everywhere else. You get more snow in a year than I've seen in a decade. If this one didn't pan out for you, just wait a few days or a week and you'll see more than the rest of us are seeing from this one. For many of us, this could be our biggest one all winter.  :)

I don't retire from posting, lol.  Stay away from American Vodka with a Russian name... all I have to say about that.

There are icy areas right down the road while I sit at 35F.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want the ice but I find it odd how 2 or 3 miles around me can be so wildly different in temperature.

I have a theory that Lake Murray messes with our weather in all situations for the bad since they built the Back-Up DAM and lowered it.  Some government experiment I say.

:weenie: Truth is you're not going to get much sympathy around here being a Boone Resident. Boone gets snow in freaking July when it's 100 degrees everywhere else. You get more snow in a year than I've seen in a decade. If this one didn't pan out for you, just wait a few days or a week and you'll see more than the rest of us are seeing from this one. For many of us, this could be our biggest one all winter. :)

If only that were still true. The last several winters have been abysmal and this one no different than anyone else in the southeast. We've had 3 dustings this winter and are 14" short of predictions for this single storm.

If only that were still true. The last several winters have been abysmal and this one no different than anyone else in the southeast. We've had 3 dustings this winter and are 14" short of predictions for this single storm.

BTW, sorry if that read a little harsh, it was meant very tongue in cheek.  :) I just reread it and saw it might come across differently. Truth be told, I have always been very jealous of Boone weather! Any place that considers 80-85 in the summer to be very hot is good with me! I hear ya, but even a bad winter for you would be a dream for me. GSP hasn't had a double digit winter in like 24 or 26 years! Prior to that it had double digits like 17 times in 30 years. I don' think this one is over for you yet and you'll get some NWF snow too. And I'm sure you'll get plenty over the next 2 months. 

BTW, sorry if that read a little harsh, it was meant very tongue in cheek. :) I just reread it and saw it might come across differently. Truth be told, I have always been very jealous of Boone weather! Any place that considers 80-85 in the summer to be very hot is good with me! I hear ya, but even a bad winter for you would be a dream for me. GSP hasn't had a double digit winter in like 24 or 26 years! Prior to that it had double digits like 17 times in 30 years. I don' think this one is over for you yet and you'll get some NWF snow too. And I'm sure you'll get plenty over the next 2 months.

It's all good, just extremely frustrated with this thing underperforming pretty bad so been in a bad mood all day :/

Even though this storm hasn't been anything special, I'll take it lol.  Started with a couple inches of snow/sleet, now have a nice ice coating and probably another half inch of sleet on top of that.  Everything is covered, included roads.  Parking lots were a solid sheet of ice.  Now if we can add a couple inches of snow on top I'll be real happy.

What have we (hopefully) learned from this "storm"?

1. Never trust QPF amounts on Global models

2. When the NAM is within 36 hours and tells you something you don't like, believe it!

3. No model gets the track and timing just right

4. When TV mets are considered to be too conservative, they know better than the models

5. Wrap around from a coastal transfer seldom works out

6. If you are counting on dynamics to save you, don't

7. There will ALWAYS be a warm nose (outside the mtns) regardless of what a model shows

8. We seldom get a storm with "just snow" for the vast majority here

9. There will be some who will win on the totals and some who will not

10.DC and the MA will outperform us every single time

What have we (hopefully) learned from this "storm"?

1. Never trust QPF amounts on Global models

2. When the NAM is within 36 hours and tells you something you don't like, believe it!

3. No model gets the track and timing just right

4. When TV mets are considered to be too conservative, they know better than the models

5. Wrap around from a coastal transfer seldom works out

6. If you are counting on dynamics to save you, don't

7. There will ALWAYS be a warm nose (outside the mtns) regardless of what a model shows

8. We seldom get a storm with "just snow" for the vast majority here

9. There will be some who will win on the totals and some who will not

10.DC and the MA will outperform us every single time

You're right except for number 7...even the mtns have a warm nose. If it's not heavy rates we are getting sleet and freezing rain here in Boone. Poorly modeled storm.

Archived