SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Storm Banter & Complaint Thread, Jan 22-23

No snow for you

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mack, snow is expected due to wrap around moisture - not sure when that will begin - in Greenville County, everything south of downtown Greenville is primarily rain - I'm about 3 miles south of downtown Greenville - have had sleet and freezing rain this AM - trees lightly coated - had a sleet covered yard early this morning - now, slowly melting away

I'm a little more South of you. W Georgia road area, and it's been all heavy rain! Yard is full of puddles, temp won't budge from 33.1! Been there an hour and a half! Maybe it will stop for awhile and let the air cool before next round!?

For those complaing about the dryslot in NC. Its not a dryslot. The dryslot atm if you just look at WV loop is from NW Ga down into AL. Besides the main snow producer is the ULL over MS. Still plenty of time so dont jump off the cliff.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

Well, the 500 mb low is underperforming right now. Models had it closed off at this point and it has yet to close off. I said it last night a lot of people are going to bust on this storm.

I likely won't do any more damage control so this is it. For central NC, this is trending towards a bad ice storm, as expected. The high snow totals on some call maps were based on the fact that we could hold off on the sleet to start and actually get some nice banding of snow, that didn't happen so cut those totals in half. The snow we will get will be on the backside, so 1-2" or so. The dry areas you see is not a dry slot, plenty of RH over the area at upper levels and as the low transfers, the moisture will pick up and pull into Wake Co, very heavy ZR I suspect is on the way. We could see upward of 0.5-0.75+ ice, maybe even 0.85" or so. This storm is trending towards an absolutely crippling system as far as impacts are concerned. For those in Raleigh who wanted 6" of powder, you should have been paying attention to the posts that were concerned about sleet (I made one yesterday to burger saying we will only get either a ton of IP or a ton of ZR, not snow). It's 9am, ZR likely won't stop until after 10pm or later. Good luck and stay safe.

It's going to be difficult to get any significant snow and sleet accums around the Triangle area for now. Too much warm air aloft. An ice storm is developing. The northern zones should see more in the way of ZR as the day wears on. Obviously, the farther north and west, the better chance of staying sleet longer.

Also, it is premature to worry about dry-slotting, all kidding aside. Not saying we shouldn't keep an eye on it. But we'll need to monitor how the transfer takes shape and how it evolves from there. Right now, the precip is spotty. There are no guarantees either way. We'll have to watch the trends through the day and hope it either stays spotty or the temps warm above freezing, so we can avoid major power problems.

I likely won't do any more damage control so this is it. For central NC, this is trending towards a bad ice storm, as expected. The high snow totals on some call maps were based on the fact that we could hold off on the sleet to start and actually get some nice banding of snow, that didn't happen so cut those totals in half. The snow we will get will be on the backside, so 1-2" or so. The dry areas you see is not a dry slot, plenty of RH over the area at upper levels and as the low transfers, the moisture will pick up and pull into Wake Co, very heavy ZR I suspect is on the way. We could see upward of 0.5-0.75+ ice, maybe even 0.85" or so. This storm is trending towards an absolutely crippling system as far as impacts are concerned. For those in Raleigh who wanted 6" of powder, you should have been paying attention to the posts that were concerned about sleet (I made one yesterday to burger saying we will only get either a ton of IP or a ton of ZR, not snow). It's 9am, ZR likely won't stop until after 10pm or later. Good luck and stay safe.

For eastern NC I agree that's the potential. I don't think that will be the case for Western NC.

Archived