• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coastal Flooding

jude

Been following this forum for days- always great info.

Would anyone here have time to comment/predict flooding levels in Cape May and Atlantic Co?

Everything I see is bouncing around like crazy. Guess we just have to wait it out.

Thanks.

Jude

I live in Cape May and respond to fire calls and water rescues year round. I find it odd that some media outlets were hyping this flood threat as bigger than Sandy or Gloria. However the current NWS coastal flood statement caps the tide height for cape may at 8'. That is moderate flooding and nothing historic. Also this full moon's high tide is greatest in the morning at only 5.3' which is a foot less than say a perigee moon. I don't get the hype.

Here is a link to tide predictions that show water levels relative to other "known" tide heights.  Currently looking at departures in the 3' range.  From Atlantic City south, this would be on par with flooding from Sandy.  We are not talking about catastrophic breaking through barrier islands and overcoming dunes and washing houses off their foundations in an entire neighborhood type of event.  But there will be flooding.  Be safe.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/etsurge/index.php?page=map&region=ne&datum=msl&list=&map=0-48&type=&stn=

Cape May's "official" tide gauge is at the Ferry terminal. The highest tide today(23rd), based on 6-min. interval measurements, was 8.7' above MLLW at 8:00am. I believe that was the predicted height. The Cape May Harbor tide gauge located at the Coast Guard Base had a 6-min. interval max. of 6.38' at 7:42am based on NAVD88 datum. Correcting that to MLLW(adding 2.78') you get 9.2'. Major tidal flooding starts at 8.7' above MLLW. So...

I had one of those 'feel it in my gut' ideas for this flooding. .

Kept waiting for towns to issue evac orders all day Friday. Was shocked when none came.

It was as bad as I expected.

I'm offshore in Dennis Twp -but plenty of family and friends on the islands.

So sad.

I am sorry to hear about the flooding in Cape May County. Have to admit I was shocked by the scope of it.

As far as the Atlantic City area, that depended on where you are at. Some areas always flood, even in smaller coastal storms. I reside in the next town down from Atlantic City and where I am at had no water in the streets. However, this area is the highest ground around.

I'll hear from others in the next few days.

Looks like Acy south got it bad and Cape May County through Delaware was ground zero. I wonder how the Townsends Inlet area did between Sea Ilse City and Avalon at the bridge.

Me too. My family has a house in Avalon Manor, up the street from the marina. We are elevated so hopefully only the garage got it but our dock was destroyed by Sandy so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. I was scouring social media but didn't find pics from that area.

Archived