SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pre-storm Banter Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that is a safe map based on historical probability and climo. The GEFS you posted suggest to me that 24+ will be east of that current placement by about 25 miles. But a this point this whole thing seems crazy as we normally argue and pray for 3-5 over 2-4. thanks for doing the model pbp...it's one of my favorite aspects of tracking. You do nice job.

Actually it was hail. There was an ultra powerful deformation axis over southern CT that had rapid vertical motion over the region. The CC from the radar was showing values around 0.85-0.92 signifying large and non-uniform Hydrometeor. When reviewing the storm afterwards, there had been overshooting tops to 25-30k and a reflectivity gradient of 45-50 dbz on a 1.9 degree tilt. That is a classic low top thunderstorm signature and hail sig for the setup. That band alone dropped 6"/hr rates and small hail stones due to the intense lift aloft. Parts of CT had 13" in 2.5 hrs. 40" fell in a few spots. I did a case study on it for my Radar Met class back in my junior year in college.

That is awesome and very informative. I just feel like he has been trolling a bit lately thus my respone

Before attacking me, please read up about what I'm referring to. Hail or graupel can fall along with snow in extremely heavy convective scenarios. An example of this is in February 2013 in SW connecticut where areas reported more than 6" per hour rates along with thunder and hail.

Yeah, my folks live in Hamden, which saw close to 40" in that. My mother called me and cried, "It's hailing here!" and I rolled my eyes and said it was called sleet. Turns out it was actually hail! Still the greatest death band I've ever seen. I hope to see something like that down there on Saturday.

Yeah, my folks live in Hamden, which saw close to 40" in that. My mother called me and cried, "It's hailing here!" and I rolled my eyes and said it was called sleet. Turns out it was actually hail! Still the greatest death band I've ever seen. I hope to see something like that down there on Saturday.

This got a genuine laugh from me. Not just what you posted, but it pretty much sums up what happens on the Board when i see posts from complete strangers the night before a huge storm.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I guess the new poster was right.

What could be better!? Caps hockey while watching a blizzard kickoff outside. Best of both worlds! Really need to lay a beat down on the Ducks though. Have owned us at Verizon Ctr the last few years.

Screw the ducks. I hope the caps score as many goals as inches that we recive

Yessssss!! What flavor dip? I love the French Onion with Lays Ridges. Yum

Yup...the "original" French Onion flavor!  Though I do like their Buffalo cheese one too (spicy!).  With Lay's Ridges is great, but today I got Tostito's Scoops.

I'll be troffin'!  Even if the power goes out, I can finish the tub I'm sure!

Archived