Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spent an hour or so at High Point, NJ earlier this afternoon. I estimate winds were gusting 40 to near 50 as I could almost fully lean into the strongest gusts. Back home currently 6 with a wind chill of -6.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

you are brave. I am hunkered down at home. only going out every 3 hours with the dogs for 2-5 minutes at most.

Will take a stroll when the temp dips to negative 5 later.

I looked up the actual surface temperatures on the 2 previous days that Albany hit -30.5 at 850mb and the lows were -12 and -10, similar to the forecast for tonight. Albany's lowest temperature on record is -28.

I'd venture to guess that when Albany hit -28 the snow pack was deep and the winds were calm. Two things lacking that make tonight's lows even more impressive.

The high winds will actually help in NYC. The more the heat island effect can be blown out over the Atlantic the better.

I'd venture to guess that when Albany hit -28 the snow pack was deep and the winds were calm. Two things lacking that make tonight's lows even more impressive.

The high winds will actually help in NYC. The more the heat island effect can be blown out over the Atlantic the better.

Clear skies and calm winds. Looking at the monthly history, does not look like there was much snow preceding that day, but hard to say for sure. 

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KALB/1971/1/19/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Latham&req_state=NY&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=12110&reqdb.magic=5&reqdb.wmo=99999

This is a dumb question, but what's better out of all these situations generally speaking to make temps drop the lowest?

Clear skies and windy

Clear skies no wind (Radiational)

Cloudy skies and windy

And obviously cloudy skies no wind wouldn't make sense

In rural areas, generally rad. cooling leads to lowest temps while in urban areas it would be clear and windy.....especially on a northerly wind in NYC so there is no downsloping and a direct discharge out of E. Canada

In rural areas, generally rad. cooling leads to lowest temps while in urban areas it would be clear and windy.....especially on a northerly wind in NYC so there is no downsloping and a direct discharge out of E. Canada

Thank you. It makes sense different areas need different conditions, especially considering NYC and it's Heat Island

To expand on that a little, the coldest nights occur when the boundary layer is able to decouple from an already-cold air mass. In real-world terms, this means that ideally, strong CAA would shut off at sundown and allow for rural areas to build a temperature inversion for 10 hours or more. When winds are active all night, the lower levels of the atmosphere stay well-mixed, and a well-mixed boundary layer tends to approximate the dry adiabatic lapse rate (cooling with altitude at about 10C per kilometer). As a result, you get warmer as you lose height, and it's hard to cool much beyond the DALR extrapolation from 850 mb. You can see this illustrated by a comparison between an NAM forecast sounding for tomorrow morning at Albany (left), versus an actual sounding from an efficient radiational cooling night last winter (right). Tonight's air-mass in the low- to mid-levels is much, much colder, but the temperature at the surface will be about the same, thanks to the gusty winds.

CbJAA4NW0AE6Hr4.jpg

To expand on that a little, the coldest nights occur when the boundary layer is able to decouple from an already-cold air mass. In real-world terms, this means that ideally, strong CAA would shut off at sundown and allow for rural areas to build a temperature inversion for 10 hours or more. When winds are active all night, the lower levels of the atmosphere stay well-mixed, and a well-mixed boundary layer tends to approximate the dry adiabatic lapse rate (cooling with altitude at about 10C per kilometer). As a result, you get warmer as you lose height, and it's hard to cool much beyond the DALR extrapolation from 850 mb. You can see this illustrated by a comparison between an NAM forecast sounding for tomorrow morning at Albany (left), versus an actual sounding from an efficient radiational cooling night last winter (right). Tonight's air-mass in the low- to mid-levels is much, much colder, but the temperature at the surface will be about the same, thanks to the gusty winds.

CbJAA4NW0AE6Hr4.jpg

Thanks Julian for the great explanation. These extremely cold nights have an interesting reasoning behind them.

Temp has actually gone up to 2 degrees here thanks to some cloud cover. I believe it's from a leftover lake effect band that was drifting south. 

I think it may be time for me to close the shades on Tuesday. It's hard to get excited about an inch or two of snow that's going to be washed away by rain and temps near 50, and I think that's where it's headed. This should be a good system for the I-88 corridor though.

Up coming storm imop.

1-4 inches of slop to heavy rain.

Just maybe,we switch to snow areas west of you if the storm bombs.

My picture/my wife at my fathers farm near Quakertown.

Old photo..you get the idea.

Just confused where u got the idea I thought I was getting a foot, so I posted my 11am thoughts lmao... Not even remotely close to that thinking actually... I fully expect a rain storm, with a front end dump of 2-5" maybe an hour or 2 of mix..... I've certainly NEVER remotely hinted at thinking I get a foot lol...

Temp has actually gone up to 2 degrees here thanks to some cloud cover. I believe it's from a leftover lake effect band that was drifting south.

I think it may be time for me to close the shades on Tuesday. It's hard to get excited about an inch or two of snow that's going to be washed away by rain and temps near 50, and I think that's where it's headed. This should be a good system for the I-88 corridor though.

Yup, the snow might look nice for a while Monday night but we will have nothing left by late Tuesday. Another storm right in with the screw job theme for us. If not too north and west, now too south and east. Happy for the folks west of us.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spent an hour or so at High Point, NJ earlier this afternoon. I estimate winds were gusting 40 to near 50 as I could almost fully lean into the strongest gusts. Back home currently 6 with a wind chill of -6.

image.jpg

Very good guess, peak gust was 51 one at high point and surprisingly 41 by me . High point station up and running again

http://rockburnweather.com/highpoint.png

Animal, on 13 Feb 2016 - 11:06 PM, said:

thanks. My father asked me recently to come back home and take care of the land.( my 2 brothers will not)

This requires me to quit my job and  get used to selling hey or grass for living. 

Still not sure I can do it.

Well...probably a more relaxing, laid back, peaceful way of life.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived