Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about this forecast for the top of Whiteface...brisk.

Detailed Forecast

Today

Mostly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -28 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -65. Windy, with a west wind 25 to 30 mph.

Tonight

Mostly cloudy, with a low around -38. Wind chill values as low as -76. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 34 mph.

How about this forecast for the top of Whiteface...brisk.

Detailed Forecast

Today

Mostly sunny and cold, with a temperature falling to around -28 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -65. Windy, with a west wind 25 to 30 mph.

Tonight

Mostly cloudy, with a low around -38. Wind chill values as low as -76. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 34 mph.

I'm not a skier, but do people ski in those conditions?

That's for the very top of the Toll Road, so the temps will be slightly less brutal where folks are skiing.

I've skied at Gore Mountain a few times with a windchill in the -40 range and it's so cold, it burns. But, if you have the proper gear, it's manageable. Plus, the cold keeps the crowds in the lodge and off the slopes.

Have I skied in temps significantly below 0?  Yes.  Would I do it again?  Most likely not.  

The coldest I remember being in in the northeast is 25-30 below and that is something special but, out west I've been in temps colder than -50 several times and that truly SUX!  Fortunately those kinds of temps don't usually hold for long after the sun comes up but sustained in the mid 20's below is not as unusual as it may seem, especially in deep valleys on windless days.

Hopefully the winds die down early in the morning and we can work on a shallow decoupling. That would yield some really impressive numbers as opposed to, say, -10, would would have been almost routine during the last couple winters.

Sharing the same brain here, the wind has been ripping here all afternoon.

I made the mistake of putting my gauge in my back, on my deck, and the house break my winds, so it's probably not accurate anyway

It's tough to get a good reading with a PWS. So many are sited incorrectly and many of us have trees and other things in the way. If I get a good gust on my station I know it's really windy out there.

Sharing the same brain here, the wind has been ripping here all afternoon.

I must be in the shaft zone. Granted I have  a lot of trees etc.

Highest so far 25 mph around 1130 this morning.

Forecast was noted for gust near 50 mph this afternoon.

I was hoping to register some near 40 mph.

might need to extend my anemometer 10 feet higher in the spring.

I made the mistake of putting my gauge in my back, on my deck, and the house break my winds, so it's probably not accurate anyway

Mine is on my back deck. It clears to roof line by 10 feet.

I am considering getting sussex rural electric coop to put a telephone pole in my yard. attach it to the top.

I got a cost to do it and it was not too bad with $ . I was told that i need to put a spot light on it to get it completed per policy. Not sure what the people on my block would say. 

Mine is on my back deck. It clears to roof line by 10 feet.

I am considering getting sussex rural electric coop to put a telephone pole in my yard. attach it to the top.

I got a cost to do it and it was not too bad with $ . I was told that i need to put a spot light on it to get it completed per policy. Not sure what the people on my block would say.

That would be a fantastic snow light right there.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived