Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just amazing how the Jersey shore and Long Island have jackpotted almost every single significant event for last several years.  It is like the climatological west/east gradient has been reversed.

Storms are developing further off the coast than years past. Im convinced the baroclinic zone has been moved east by a good 100-200 miles. Never in my almost 40 years have I seen this much constant fringing while E LI has consistent major snows. There has got to be something at play here..

Storms are developing further off the coast than years past. Im convinced the baroclinic zone has been moved east by a good 100-200 miles. Never in my almost 40 years have I seen this much constant fringing while E LI has consistent major snows. There has got to be something at play here..

Of that I think there is no doubt. Until I see otherwise the song remains the same.

That's almost exactly what I said a few posts ago.  Come up with your own ideas buddy   :hug:

I'm originally from the Lower Hudson Valley, lived there from 94-02.  Is it just me or are these nonstop city/NJ/LI jackpots sort of new?  I remember a lot of times rain/snow lines around the Tappan Zee Bridge or sometimes north of there.  It feels like the Mid-Hudson Valley and the Catskills are just a perpetual screw zone recently.  Am I just imagining this or is it real?

Edit: Just read up like 5 posts and see my questions answered immediately.  

I'm originally from the Lower Hudson Valley, lived there from 94-02.  Is it just me or are these nonstop city/NJ/LI jackpots sort of new?  I remember a lot of times rain/snow lines around the Tappan Zee Bridge or sometimes north of there.  It feels like the Mid-Hudson Valley and the Catskills are just a perpetual screw zone recently.  Am I just imagining this or is it real?

Edit: Just read up like 5 posts and see my questions answered immediately.  

No it is real. I've noticed it in the last 5 years, this year is a new low.

Today the windward side of the yard was 4.2" and the leeward side is 3.4".  I think the other reason for the discrepancy is the general southerly aspect of that side so the ground was probably a hair warmer the first few hours of the storm.  It compacted very quickly so I should probably call it at 3.5".  I know the mush pile from the plow was silly heavy  :axe:

1000% agree, this is much more than just random luck,  Larger overall change is in play and the point of the baroclinic zone shift makes perfect sense.

This can't be right... I had a spotty dusting, no rain here

In no way is that map correct. I had nothing in the rain gauge and just a trace of snow.  

As for the screw zone, I think it runs back into central PA as well but we'd have to ask our friends out there if my assumption is correct.  I was thinking the other day it would be interesting to map the snowfall along the east coast over the past six years to see where the screw zone sets up.  Now I should note, last year I managed 60" and the year before 70", well above normal.  In fact, five out of the six previous winters I've had above average snowfall IMBY so the 'screw zone' is a relative term IMO. 

In no way is that map correct. I had nothing in the rain gauge and just a trace of snow.  

As for the screw zone, I think it runs back into central PA as well but we'd have to ask our friends out there if my assumption is correct.  I was thinking the other day it would be interesting to map the snowfall along the east coast over the past six years to see where the screw zone sets up.  Now I should note, last year I managed 60" and the year before 70", well above normal.  In fact, five out of the six previous winters I've had above average snowfall IMBY so the 'screw zone' is a relative term IMO. 

Yeah that's interesting.  I guess I'd like to see a map of the yearly snowfall anomalies (not sure if that's the correct term).  As in how much above/below average a certain location is. 

Yeah in no way have we been screwed in the last 10-15 years. We are all running above our long term averages but its recently where we have seen a different dynamic with coastals. The gangsta algreek from the almighty queens says the "new" average for LI is 35-45". Going by his logic we are all above 55" now for averages.. Congrats! lol

Yeah in no way have we been screwed in the last 10-15 years. We are all running above our long term averages but its recently where we have seen a different dynamic with coastals. The gangsta algreek from the almighty queens says the "new" average for LI is 35-45". Going by his logic we are all above 55" now for averages.. Congrats! lol

Here's what the NWS has to say:

@DrHietanen No real meteorological reason linking the past few winter, probably just bad luck. It'll turn around eventually.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived