SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically If I walked N to the end of the road I would have seen less than 1" lol.. This needs to be archived boys..

Should be a nice drive going into work tomorrow.

They finally got my hood correct on that map. I told people yesterday at work that this storm could drop nothing on the northern end of the County and a foot in Warwick...obviously I screwed the pooch on that...

Anybody have an idea of how much snow they got in the Cold Spring area?

I was actually going to head there today after work to the Pantry for a beer, but instead checked into a hospital and got diagnosed with pneumonia. No snow here to boot. Sucky day all around!

I read yesterday you were headed to the Hudson Highlands. Did you make it out at all?

Today's wild snow gradient reminded me of the widely varying amounts seen in Lake effect snow areas.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Those gradients are even more extreme. You can go from 3"/ hr rates to partly cloudy in the span of as little as a couple miles. For the November '14 storm, the house I grew up in had over 70" while areas just a few miles north had a foot or less. As a kid, I always watched the clouds first and then the winds second to know when a band was on the move towards me. The winds are typically stronger on the edge of a band, so when the winds picked up, you knew the snow was close.

Those gradients are even more extreme. You can go from 3"/ hr rates to partly cloudy in the span of as little as a couple miles. For the November '14 storm, the house I grew up in had over 70" while areas just a few miles north had a foot or less. As a kid, I always watched the clouds first and then the winds second to know when a band was on the move towards me. The winds are typically stronger on the edge of a band, so when the winds picked up, you knew the snow was close.

you've experienced lake effect? How incredible is it?

Anybody have an idea of how much snow they got in the Cold Spring area?

I'm at basically the same latitude as Cold Spring and about 12 miles East as the crow flies...we got about 8 or 9 inches here. I'd imagine they got roughly the same based on the radar I saw.

you've experienced lake effect? How incredible is it?

I lived in Buffalo until I graduated college. It's a pretty incredible experience to be in the heart of an intense band. The snow rates can be prolific, 1-3" per hour is commonplace but I've personally experienced as high as 6" per hour. There were times when I couldn't see a tree that literally stood 25' in front of my house. Thundersnow happens during the more extreme setups. The wind in the heart of a band is usually not too bad interestingly enough. I think too much wind inhibits moisture advection from the lake.

The downside to all this is the razor sharp cutoff to the bands. So I could have p/s skies and the next town south could be getting hammered. Plus, Buffalo needs a SW wind to get hit while the prevailing wind direction is usually west or even northwest. So while Buffalo averages close to 100"/yr, the averages increase dramatically to the south. My mother lives about an hour southwest of Buffalo on a ridge and her town averages over 200"/yr! The one thing that helps Buffalo reach such prolific totals in single events, however, is the orientation of Lake Erie. A SW wind ends up traversing the entire fetch of the lake.

As a snow lover, I would totally recommend taking a trip to experience a good lake effect storm. They can often tell days in advance that the ingredients are there for it, but it sometimes comes down to the day of to figure out where the band sets up and how much movement there will be. The Tug Hill is a great place to go too. Even closer and typically stronger events than off Lake Erie.

I was actually going to head there today after work to the Pantry for a beer, but instead checked into a hospital and got diagnosed with pneumonia. No snow here to boot. Sucky day all around!

Oh man that sux!  Order the chicken soup...

I'm at basically the same latitude as Cold Spring and about 12 miles East as the crow flies...we got about 8 or 9 inches here. I'd imagine they got roughly the same based on the radar I saw.

How could I be just a few miles from you and have so much more?  How often and when did you measure?  I know that when I measured around 11pm after it was over and the wind was still blowing I came up with more like 10-11 rather than the 15 that I got when I did it about 6 hours apart during the storm.  There were so many hours of fractured crystals that settled significantly that if you didn't get it while they were still soft and airy you would have come up with much lower numbers.

I lived in Buffalo until I graduated college. It's a pretty incredible experience to be in the heart of an intense band. The snow rates can be prolific, 1-3" per hour is commonplace but I've personally experienced as high as 6" per hour. There were times when I couldn't see a tree that literally stood 25' in front of my house. Thundersnow happens during the more extreme setups. The wind in the heart of a band is usually not too bad interestingly enough. I think too much wind inhibits moisture advection from the lake.

The downside to all this is the razor sharp cutoff to the bands. So I could have p/s skies and the next town south could be getting hammered. Plus, Buffalo needs a SW wind to get hit while the prevailing wind direction is usually west or even northwest. So while Buffalo averages close to 100"/yr, the averages increase dramatically to the south. My mother lives about an hour southwest of Buffalo on a ridge and her town averages over 200"/yr! The one thing that helps Buffalo reach such prolific totals in single events, however, is the orientation of Lake Erie. A SW wind ends up traversing the entire fetch of the lake.

As a snow lover, I would totally recommend taking a trip to experience a good lake effect storm. They can often tell days in advance that the ingredients are there for it, but it sometimes comes down to the day of to figure out where the band sets up and how much movement there will be. The Tug Hill is a great place to go too. Even closer and typically stronger events than off Lake Erie.

Agreed, every snow lover should experience lake effect at least once in their life. You have more experience with it growing up in that area. I've seen visibility down to only 50 feet for example in my experiences with lake effect. It's incredible stuff and my experience was that it's was the driest most powdery snow I've ever seen. Feel better!

I read yesterday you were headed to the Hudson Highlands. Did you make it out at all?

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon! Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to head out yesterday... sure would have been nice to see some honest-to-goodness snowfall, but alas.

Looks slanted. :weenie:

Oh man that sux!  Order the chicken soup...

How could I be just a few miles from you and have so much more?  How often and when did you measure?  I know that when I measured around 11pm after it was over and the wind was still blowing I came up with more like 10-11 rather than the 15 that I got when I did it about 6 hours apart during the storm.  There were so many hours of fractured crystals that settled significantly that if you didn't get it while they were still soft and airy you would have come up with much lower numbers.

I actually moved a few months ago from Mahopac...I am in Carmel now a little north, based on radar the banding was definitely slightly less heavy here with the tight gradient.

Well that explains it.  I was out this morning and actually went to Carmel and yeah there is a significant difference.  It was noticeable in the first 2 miles and by the time I got to the causeway by the reservoir it was already down to a little over half of what I got.  When you go just south of here the snowbanks along the back roads go up in height quickly too.

Did a recon trip this morning, taking rt 94 into NY state.

Goshen, NY - 1-2 inches

Florida, NY - 4 inches north of down, 6-7 inches south of town.

Between Florida, NY & Warwick is where the snow increased every mile.

Warwick, NY - a few miles north of the town is where the 12 inch mark was located.

Warwick, NY - was whacked hard. more snow as you moved from the town center  back towards the NJ state line.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived