Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM holds serve

If we end up getting an inch or two up here...this would be the worst case ever of being NAM'ed. It's been run after run, not just a one or two "NAM'ed" runs like in the past

With several other models shifting North I am still holding out hope for 8" + but expecting 3-6" at this point

We know the NAM is going to overdo precip amounts, but a lot of you obviously do very well. The 8" line basically bisects Dutchess and Ulster, with a sharp gradient north and south. It definitely pulled back south on this run by a good 20 miles. GFS aside, we seem to be getting closer to a consensus that would put at least the southern half of this region at warning level snows, with perhaps advisory level amounts north of there - though that may be a stretch because we know the gradient is going to be so sharp. As I said earlier, I really think someone in our region is going to get smoked by an intense mesoscale band. The blizzard of 96 had a band pretty far removed from the heart of the storm that produced 33" of snow in the Litchfield Hills and Southern Berks. 

Btw, here's what ALY has on their site for the storm, this is 7 am Saturday to 7 am Sunday.

post-8457-0-16475100-1453454014_thumb.pn

It really looks as though I-84 is going to be the cutoff for the good stuff. I know we've had many discussions about the orographic effect of the Hudson Highlands in that region. Looks to be in play again somewhat here.

Your still sitting on 10+ inches in Pough according to NAM... Gotta look at LE... We're gonna be at 15:1 ratios u see those bands easily, with little wind compared to coast

Your still sitting on 10+ inches in Pough according to NAM... Gotta look at LE... We're gonna be at 15:1 ratios u see those bands easily, with little wind compared to coast

There are some super dry layers to the north of this system. Even at the surface, KPOU is at 26/5F. I personally doubt that we see any precip hitting the ground along the US 44 corridor... hope I'm wrong.

G6zata4.gif

There are some super dry layers to the north of this system. Even at the surface, KPOU is at 26/5F. I personally doubt that we see any precip hitting the ground along the US 44 corridor... hope I'm wrong.

G6zata4.gif

Have u seen 9z SREFS.. They're insane, for even POU.. Only 2 members out of the 26 whiff... Mean is 1.8 max 4+ lol

Here's what I find the most disconcerting. When Juno was forming last January, I watched the satellite loops and suspected it was over for my area based on how far east the baroclinic leaf and emerging commahead were. The corresponding features of this cyclone are, what, 600 miles further west? And I'm missing the heavy snows by a very similar margin. Sometimes I can't believe how many ways there are to ruin a snowstorm around here. 

UGtQYWj.jpg

We break into the storm coverage for a special announcement...

The Weather Channel naming of storms is really annoying.  Along with their acting like they are the ultimate weather authority.  Thank God FIOS dumped them.

Back to the regularly scheduled posting.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived