SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a hair south at H5 - it's not like a leap, though. It looks pretty similar overall to my eyes at the 500mb level on IWM. 

It's a tiny shift.  Loop through all of today's runs on TropicalTidbits for the 6z Saturday timeframe.  Aside from the 6z, which was somewhat farther north, the other 3 (0z, 12z, and now 18z) are pretty darn close to each other.  Certainly well within a reasonable noise level for a 3-4 day forecast. 

It's a tiny shift.  Loop through all of today's runs on TropicalTidbits for the 6z Saturday timeframe.  Aside from the 6z, which was somewhat farther north, the other 3 (0z, 12z, and now 18z) are pretty darn close to each other.  Certainly well within a reasonable noise level for a 3-4 day forecast. 

Yes I agree - it looked to my eyes like it could be a bit more than a tiny shift at first but it seemed like as it ran it looked like less and less of a big deal. Question I guess is whether it's a "tick" towards the Euro. Like you, my money is on noise. Beautiful storm. Sort of unbelievable the models are been so steady with this at longish leads. Consider me impressed. 

I'm new to the Northern VA area.  I'm out in Herndon;  A stone's throw from Dulles.  Looking at some historical data it looks like this area gets dumped on pretty good in just about every snowstorm like this.  Even with the Euro looking South, areas NW of the L are usually under-forecasted, right?  I'm still a newb when it comes to all of this, but I have a feeling it will start snowing here earlier than Friday morning and that the ratio will be higher than forecasted due to the temperature.  

Can someone with much more knowledge than I have (So, basically any of you), tell me if I'm on the right train of thought here, or if I'm way off?

I lived in Herndon for past 23 years and we do well. 28" in January 1996 storm with drifts over the roof of my house and our street was not plowed for more than 1 week. The February 5-6 2010 gave us 32" and no power for over 24 hours. Dulles Airport reported heavy snow every observation from 6 p.m. on Friday until 8 a.m. Saturday.  PDII it snowed for days and left over 2ft in its wake.

not if it keeps shifting south

GFS has never really wavered or shifted anywhere tbh. It's wobbling around but hasn't had a single giant shift like we saw with the euro. The euro could have easily had a big deform band in our area given the h5 and slp progression. It just had everything compact. If the euro sticks to its guns tonight we can revisit. 

GFS has never really wavered or shifted anywhere tbh. It's wobbling around but hasn't had a single giant shift like we saw with the euro. The euro could have easily had a big deform band in our area given the h5 and slp progression. It just had everything compact. If the euro sticks to its guns tonight we can revisit. 

For my house it is the best fantasy run of my life.  I don't trust it but even the euro gives me 20 inches or so.  Someone will get buried and someone who is just out of the buried zone will be ticked that they only got a foot. 

I mentioned above - it did seem like it had the potential to be a decent amount south earlier in the run but the run squashed those fears pretty quickly. 

I think sometimes we forget how complex our atmosphere is and how complex the models are as well. One tiny piece of energy can change the outcome down the line (which I know you know!). 

The simple fact is these models have done a really good job at leads with this storm even if they are off by a bit in the verification. Really neat to watch the NWP come together on this one...now let's hope there isn't a meltdown. 

Archived