Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #2 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you comment on the strange triple closed low formation at hr 108 on the Op? Is that even possible because the CMC shows something very similar.  I've never seen something like that in a model before that wasn't tossed as erroneous to my recollection...

I'll have to defer there. I'm not sure why it does it. From what I can tell, the primary off of OBX get's tugged by the ULL and tucked into VA beach. But it could also be 2 low pressures. The primary off the coast and the secondary spawning from the ULL. Then weakens and the primary to the NE quickly deepens. Almost looks like a tug of war of sorts. And part of the reason why it looks so suspect. But it could also be totally plausible and I'm sure a met could do a much better job than me explaining. 

I'll have to defer there. I'm not sure why it does it. From what I can tell, the primary off of OBX get's tugged by the ULL and tucked into VA beach. But it could also be 2 low pressures. The primary off the coast and the secondary spawning from the ULL. Then weakens and the primary to the NE quickly deepens. Almost looks like a tug of war of sorts. And part of the reason why it looks so suspect. But it could also be totally plausible and I'm sure a met could do a much better job than me explaining. 

I can remember seeing something like this before. I think I have seen it both happen and also be a model issue. Very odd.. 

I'm new to the Northern VA area.  I'm out in Herndon;  A stone's throw from Dulles.  Looking at some historical data it looks like this area gets dumped on pretty good in just about every snowstorm like this.  Even with the Euro looking South, areas NW of the L are usually under-forecasted, right?  I'm still a newb when it comes to all of this, but I have a feeling it will start snowing here earlier than Friday morning and that the ratio will be higher than forecasted due to the temperature.  

Can someone with much more knowledge than I have (So, basically any of you), tell me if I'm on the right train of thought here, or if I'm way off?

I'm new to the Northern VA area.  I'm out in Herndon;  A stone's throw from Dulles.  Looking at some historical data it looks like this area gets dumped on pretty good in just about every snowstorm like this.  Even with the Euro looking South, areas NW of the L are usually under-forecasted, right?  I'm still a newb when it comes to all of this, but I have a feeling it will start snowing here earlier than Friday morning and that the ratio will be higher than forecasted due to the temperature.  

Can someone with much more knowledge than I have (So, basically any of you), tell me if I'm on the right train of thought here, or if I'm way off?

I grew up in Sterling. You will usually mix in these big storms there. But yes you can get dumped on and usually do about the same as IAD.

By way of a serious answer -- I've lived in the MD/DC area for nearly 15 years. It's hard to say, but my feeling is you're right regarding areas NW of the lows.

Archived