Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

Starting to get excited...

Friday Night

Snow likely. Blustery with lows in the mid 20s. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Saturday01/2334 | 25 °F

Saturday

Snow likely. Blustery with highs in the lower 30s. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Dude N VA gonna max out here . This should be the one time you take a 3 day wknd and head out THRS night . That is where the real show will def b . 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, after looking at the qpf and temperature profiles, the ECMWF would be a big storm from DCA to BOS (1-2 feet DCA and PHL and maybe 12"-18" for NYC and BOS) with some areas of higher snowfall especially from parts of VA into southern PA. Across Long Island and extreme southeastern New England, there would be some precipitation-type issues. It wouldn't surprise me from that data if even NYC and nearby suburbs had some sleet and mixing for a time. 

As this depiction stands, it would probably fall short of the Blizzard of 1996 on the NESIS scale. It would probably need to close off a little later and pass offshore rather than over the Delmarva Peninsula to make a run at the 1996 rating.

The NESIS storms can be found here: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis

Overall, after looking at the qpf and temperature profiles, the ECMWF would be a big storm from DCA to BOS (1-2 feet DCA and PHL and maybe 12"-18" for NYC and BOS) with some areas of higher snowfall especially from parts of VA into southern PA. Across Long Island and extreme southeastern New England, there would be some precipitation-type issues. It wouldn't surprise me from that data if even NYC and nearby suburbs had some sleet and mixing for a time. 

As this depiction stands, it would probably fall short of the Blizzard of 1996 on the NESIS scale. It would probably need to close off a little later and pass offshore rather than over the Delmarva Peninsula to make a run at the 1996 rating.

The NESIS storms can be found here: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/rsi/nesis

You would need a 20-30" swath from DC to NYC to make a run 1996 rating. If the models verify, this storm will likely be in the Cat. 4 range, since the entire I-95 corridor from DC to Boston is currently forecasted to be in the 10-20" zone. Population is factored heavily in the NESIS scale

The consistency on these runs is what getting me. If this continues to stick.. I can assure you it will be one to remember wherever it hits.

I think history has proven that models will lock onto the HECS type storms from 5-7 days out. And it seems to be the case here. This is the most consistent model agreement I think I have ever seen.

The consistency on these runs is what getting me. If this continues to stick.. I can assure you it will be one to remember wherever it hits.

I think history has proven that models will lock onto the HECS type storms from 5-7 days out. And it seems to be the case here. This is the most consistent model agreement I think I have ever seen.

I remember the JMA was the only model to have the 96 storm this far out...

It's quite amazing actually. Usually we see two different model camps this far out, one camp on the snow side, the other on the no snow side. To have all major models basically showing the same outcome is amazing *knock on wood*.

Time period I'm most interested in this week is tomorrow night and into early Wednesday.  At that point, all key players are sampled and you can begin to hash out the finer details of any potential storm and take modeling a bit more seriously. 

I maintain that you have a period here with a weak PNA spike and transitioning out of blocking to get a decent hit here.  Players are on the field for a good hit, just a matter of how progressive this ends up becoming.  Least likely scenario here is rain.  It's either coastal hit or nothing, IMO.  

You haven't been looking very long then...

I been around a while..lol What am I missing? I dont have that great of a memory like some do here to remember every storm. Like what was mentioned, it's usually 2 camps, snow or no. To see all the big players show what they are this far out is a rare bird....

Time period I'm most interested in this week is tomorrow night and into early Wednesday.  At that point, all key players are sampled and you can begin to hash out the finer details of any potential storm and take modeling a bit more seriously. 

I maintain that you have a period here with a weak PNA spike and transitioning out of blocking to get a decent hit here.  Players are on the field for a good hit, just a matter of how progressive this ends up becoming.  Least likely scenario here is rain.  It's either coastal hit or nothing, IMO.  

That is really what is keeping me from going all in with the potential storm this weekend, and believe me I am close. I would just like to wait until all the players are sampled before going hog wild. But with the overwhelming model and ensemble support its hard not to want to go all in now.

Weren't the models showing us getting like 25-40 inches with that one storm last year, and instead  we got like 8-10 inches? I'd hold off on the huge totals until we're less than 24 hours away, especially with the models predicting such huge accumulations so far out (sounds weird, I know).

Last year's fiasco will lead to the possibility of the following scenario: what if by Thursday evening the GFS is still leading the pack and the forcast , officially, becomes 20-25 inches , blizzard conditions from 1am Sat. till 3 pm Sunday. NWS goes with this, I guarantee you there will be many who will snicker and say" oh really? you told us 2-3 feet last year and look how that verified?''

This is a potentially life endagering scenario Pro mets have to guard against by explaining how situation is different

Archived