• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

The 30 days of winter beginning January 23rd will go down among the greatest in NYC history.

Greatest daily snowfall on record

Below zero low temperature

More than 30" for 30 days

Maybe uncle has the stats for 30 day periods in NYC with over 30" and a below zero temperature.

Two singular events, a blizzard and a below zero reading with nothing else remarkable in between, will go down among the greatest 30 days in NYC history? I really think that's a stretch. I would define a "greatest in history" period as something like what Boston experienced from late January to late February last year. What'd they have, like 90" of snow?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm nw of NYC and had 3 snow events (only one significant ) hardly any snow cover . Seems like this winter was basically two - three weeks of actual winter combined . I guess u can say it was a decent winter east but certainly not nw . Add the fact that certain people kept harping that great pattern flip that really never happened I'd say alot of us can say the winter has sucked . By the way I never thought those outrageous winter calls would verify.

Yeah, closer to the coast has been the place to be especially since the 09-10 winter when the coast really cashed in

on the late December storm. My guess is that the historic blocking we have been experiencing resulted in a storm

track more favorable for the coast and left the NW sections on the fringe for a number of snowstorms.

Storms were blocked  just a little too far SE for interior sections to jackpot that much.

But during the 80's into the early 90's it was a different story. The blocking was weaker to nonexistent 

at times. So many storms tracked further NW.  The coast was frequently going to rain and the interior

was staying frozen longer. Essentially a series of front end thumps where the NW sections hold the

cold longer than the coast with better seasonal snowfall totals.

Two singular events, a blizzard and a below zero reading with nothing else remarkable in between, will go down among the greatest 30 days in NYC history? I really think that's a stretch. I would define a "greatest in history" period as something like what Boston experienced from late January to late February last year. What'd they have, like 90" of snow?

But nyc hasnt had a stretch like that...

Thats like saying the Mets 86 world series win wasnt its greatest moment because the Yankees won 4 out of 5 a decade later.

But nyc hasnt had a stretch like that...

Thats like saying the Mets 86 world series win wasnt its greatest moment because the Yankees won 4 out of 5 a decade later.

I think part of it is subjective too. The fact that NYC managed that much snow, albeit mostly one big storm, and that cold shot in a toaster bath of a winter is notable. Just like it's notable that 50 miles away from there this is the worst winter ever. There no lack of extremes this winter. #STFU16

I think part of it is subjective too. The fact that NYC managed that much snow, albeit mostly one big storm, and that cold shot in a toaster bath of a winter is notable. Just like it's notable that 50 miles away from there this is the worst winter ever. There no lack of extremes this winter. #STFU16

Oh yeah its definitely subjective. But you cant compare nyc history to boston history when discussing nyc's historic time periods.

Oh yeah its definitely subjective. But you cant compare nyc history to boston history when discussing nyc's historic time periods.

But what people often overlook because it's not technically a 30 day time period, is the 32 day period in NYC from December 26th 2010 to January 27th 2011.

Central park recorded 56.0 inches of snow during those 32 days, and that's with the usual couple of under measurements by the infamous zookeeper during that period, most notable the boxing day 20.0 inches, which was more in the 23-25 inch range.

NYC still hasn't even had a stretch like 09-10 in Baltimore, DC, and Philly.....still can't touch that winter in those cities, even though that year was pretty darn good overall for us, we had what 47 inches to their 87? Our top year is 75 in 96?

Philly and Baltimore both had 77-78 inches that winter, DC 54, NYC 51.4

Dulles airport I'm sure had more but Dulles is in Virginia 35 miles outside of DC. TWC idiotically reports their totals as DC totals.

Also as I noted above people often forget the 32 day stretch in NYC from Dec 26 to January 27 2010/11 that saw 56.0 inches of snow at KNYC.

Philly and Baltimore both had 77-78 inches that winter, DC 54, NYC 51.4

Dulles airport I'm sure had more but Dulles is in Virginia 35 miles outside of DC. TWC idiotically reports their totals as DC totals.

Also as I noted above people often forget the 32 day stretch in NYC from Dec 26 to January 27 2010/11 that saw 56.0 inches of snow at KNYC.

But if baltimore can get 3 KUs in one winter and get to 78" NYC should be able to hit 100 in a best case scenario. Take last year's Feb and March with Dec 2010 Jan 2011 it would've been close

Archived