• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

Dave curran is talking about an upper air disturbance maybe being able to push and flatten the heavu snow south east where inland sections wouldn't see as much..any validity to this

Again, the story now is to try to reassure the public that there is hope that these big amounts really can't possibly happen, but I've been watching WU on TWC and they said, they are confident of their forecast, and the trends are north, and northern areas could pick up more. Their words, not mine. Nothing about flattening or dry slots, except one to the south which they said will fill up quickly

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, former Long Islander (Seaford) stopping in...living near Rochester now (the land of almost daily light snowfalls, rarely anything really exciting like this event). Fascinating storm unfolding, but such a tough forecast. Hope you do well down there.

Feb 78 remains the best snowstorm I've ever experienced. Went off to college in 1980 (Rutgers, did experience the big 1983 storm), moved out of the area in 1984 so I have missed all of the more recent big storms. I remember many a night staring at the streetlights, waiting for storms to begin. The good old days!

Don't forget the Jan 82 and April 82 events, not huge but that April one was freakish and cold too. I was at MCC at the time, transferred to RU. Son goes there now. They still screw you over, but the food is better and they have better marketing...

Wow, was this a gamble I lost. Two days ago I was thinking that if this did happen for NYC, it would probably be a significant but not major, 8-12" kind of event. Nice to witness, but not worth a flight back all the way from Texas and then definite issues getting back. Should have made the flight back to be in this. Ahh well, there will be others in the future, I've been through some nasty ones, and I have this outlet to live it vicariously through. 

Wow, was this a gamble I lost. Two days ago I was thinking that if this did happen for NYC, it would probably be a significant but not major, 8-12" kind of event. Nice to witness, but not worth a flight back all the way from Texas and then definite issues getting back. Should have made the flight back to be in this. Ahh well, there will be others in the future, I've been through some nasty ones, and I have this outlet to live it vicariously through.

I told you to come back!

Has anyone seen Lonnie Quinn's video on WCBS-TV's on Facebook,  I am not meteorologist, but his explanations make no sense to me.  He is talking about dry slots on radar...now... before the storm has even developed.  He is saying the only way for the NAM to come close to verifying is if the Low tracks over Long Island.......in some 30 mile radius.... He is making no sense to me.......Am I the only one who has no clue what he is talking about

Its worth a watch just to LOL ALOT!

Has anyone seen Lonnie Quinn's video on WCBS-TV's on Facebook,  I am not meteorologist, but his explanations make no sense to me.  He is talking about dry slots on radar...now... before the storm has even developed.  He is saying the only way for the NAM to come close to verifying is if the Low tracks over Long Island.......in some 30 mile radius.... He is making no sense to me.......Am I the only one who has no clue what he is talking about

Its worth a watch just to LOL ALOT!

Link? I can't find it and want a funny :)

Amigos, congratulations. Looks like you may get slammed down there. Hope this erases any painful memories of last year. Happy hunting!

NYC didn't really miss out from Juno, Central Park still had about 10", and eastern parts of the city had 12-13". There was 15" in my town about 25 miles SE of Manhattan. Hopefully Boston can somehow grab one of the northern bands and salvage something. 

this is like an absolute dream scenario storm. on a weekend with the bulk of it coming during daylight hours. i've been waiting a long time to see a daytime blizzard like this should be.

Should last a good 24-30 hours. If snow is starting now, it may not end until 1-2am Sunday morning. Forky's right-enjoy this. It may be up among the Jan 1996, Dec 1947, Feb 1983, Feb 1978 type events in NYC. 

Archived