joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to some of the good posters? Reading the discussion thread, I see people I used to consider good posters lamenting how this will suck when not a single operational model has less than 10" for the city.

Everyone seems like a good poster during good winters of yore. You know, the late 2000s and early to mid 2010s.

The bad news for everyone is I am leaving for Key West in the morning and I'm one of those people who never seems to miss significant weather events. When I leave the events don't happen, when I go somewhere they happen there

It's over. At least I don't have to wait up for the Euro tonight.

What happened to some of the good posters? Reading the discussion thread, I see people I used to consider good posters lamenting how this will suck when not a single operational model has less than 10" for the city.

It's insanity to throw in the towel for NYC. It's even too early for a chunk of our NE subforum.

It is as if posters now think a 50 mile shift 60-72 hours out is somehow rare.

It's insanity to throw in the towel for NYC. It's even too early for a chunk of our NE subforum.

It is as if posters now think a 50 mile shift 60-72 hours out is somehow rare.

That's the scary thing, people thing if NYC whiffs on this the models would have done poorly but a 70 mile shift is nothing at this range. It's just that shifts like that which occur where the population is that big are noticeable

waiting for the 0z models...kinda feel like john coffey.

Imagine they ran twice a day? We would literally lose our minds with the extra time in between runs. Every 6 hours until something happens is bad enough...

On another note, if this puppy whiffs... I will never look at another model again and I will stick to watching the news like old school...lol These past couple years just been downright ridiculous. It's almost like the models have gotten worse.

When I was in college in the 1980's we would rip the forecasts off the printer once a day around 7pm (I think.)  We were so excited to even have that!  Then we would go ahead and hand draw maps based off current obs and extrapolate out and see if our forecast matched or even came close to what the computers were giving us.  Can you imagine if some of these modelologists now had to do that?

When I was in college in the 1980's we would rip the forecasts off the printer once a day around 7pm (I think.) We were so excited to even have that! Then we would go ahead and hand draw maps based off current obs and extrapolate out and see if our forecast matched or even came close to what the computers were giving us. Can you imagine if some of these modelologists now had to do that?

I was little in the 80s but I remember my old man calling a phone number for the weather report. It was like a NOAA weather radio channel but on the phone. You probably remember that!

Absolutely!  I actually bought a weather radio in the late 70's so I could have the most up to date NOAA forecasts.  I was basically hooked after the January and February 78 storms and just had to have one.  It also had the marine forecasts so was great for figuring out where to surf or what the winds would be like at the golf courses I played most often.  I would sit in my room late at night and listen for an hour straight.

It would be funny if the mid Atlantic gets shafted and our sub forum gets the big snow totals

Better chance of winning powerball my friend

At this point I'm happy with anything over 6" in the city. Enough to plow and make some money. Any big numbers would be nice and are still entirely possible at this time

Archived