Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter Thread #2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like five more posts from the guy and he doesn't get it or can't read a map

He'll whine and moan about cyber bullying when HE brings it on himself.  And then mention pop psychology about not recognizing that he's awful and saying if he does it "Reinforces" cyber bullying.  I mean, seriously.   It's always everybody else, not them.  

It's odd how now the media mets are using the Euro almost solely when in the past, they'd always make sweet sweet love to whatever the GFS was printing out.  

Easier to deal with surprised weenies than enraged weenies. I've found people are generally less happy with over-performance than under-performance. Weather is srs biz.

This! Of course the forums would riot, plunder, and pillage. But we know a north shift will happen. When has it not?

You're assuming the EURO has not picked up on some fundamental change. We'll know that after tonight's run. GFS has been solid for four days or so on this one. I'm sticking with the GFS.

Easier to deal with surprised weenies than enraged weenies. I've found people are generally less happy with over-performance than under-performance. Weather is srs biz.

I mean, let me lay it out like this. Humans only live 80-90 years these days. The first 10 you barely remember and the last 10 you're usually too decrepit to enjoy or remember as well. That gives you ~60 years at a chance for an all-timer. Some of us are running out of years.

It's odd how now the media mets are using the Euro almost solely when in the past, they'd always make sweet sweet love to whatever the GFS was printing out.  

To be honest - it's all tied to social media and fads IMO. Think: Polar vortex, derecho. To an extent in the past few years so much of the public is now (or perceive to be) familiar with weather models. In 2010 my friends had no idea what I meant when I referred to the GFS or Canadian. Now all my friends are like - "ISN'T THE EURO PRETTY MUCH THE BEST MODEL EVER?!" - and I think that has translated into TV mets largely. 

In 2010 you would have never seen a local TV met putting up a map labeled "Euro" - they'd make their own snow maps and maybe mention models but tucked away in some corner of their on screen appearance. Whether this is all a good thing or bad thing is for another argument ;) 

First call:

IAD 35"

DCA 27"

BWI 35"

RIC 16"

PHL 24"

max 42" 30 miles n.w. IAD

wind gusts generally 45-55 mph

drifts could reach 12-15'

pushing 75 mph at the Delaware and s NJ coasts

frequent thundersnow, mixing mainly confined to se VA.

seasonal snowfall contest may be decided in one big wallop and it looks like there may be more to come, betcha some of the higher thickness events get scaled back as the models come to terms with snowpack.

Looked ahead to the storm obs thread....

mapgirl: OMFG. It's dumping outside. 14" already

sparky: I just brushed off 15" with the broom. It's dumping.

losetoa6: Meh. Only 20" with 1"/hr rates

You can book this, btw.

I'll be kind and only post pics with no commentary

First call:

IAD 35"

DCA 27"

BWI 35"

RIC 16"

PHL 24"

seasonal snowfall contest may be decided in one big wallop and it looks like there may be more to come, betcha some of the higher thickness events get scaled back as the models come to terms with snowpack.

35" for Baltimore? My God if this came true LOL

First call:

IAD 35"

DCA 27"

BWI 35"

RIC 16"

PHL 24"

I like this call!

I moved to Miami over the summer (  :cry: ) but all my family is still in the DC/Baltimore area. I had plane tickets to come home next Tuesday but yesterday I changed them to come home this Thursday. I did this specifically because (1) this storm and (2) the confidence everyone in here has about it!

Don't let me down!

Archived