joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread #2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to chase this thing next weekend.  Probably won't, but still.  Where I'm from we're basically incapable of getting so much snow at one time, and with those winds and rates... nothing like a nor'easter.  Also I get a kick out of the massive infrastructure and travel disruptions and general havoc wrecked by large snowstorms in the mid atlantic.  Sometimes you just gotta travel from Whitefish to DC to see snow :) lol

I would think Wednesday morning or afternoon at the earliest.

I know 48 hours is the typical outside limit for issuing a WSWatch but this seems like such an unusual case both because of the potential significance of the event but, more significantly, because of the model unanimity. Given what we are seeing in these model runs, run after run for every model, what justification other than pure risk aversion would there be for not issuing an official notice to the public? An extra day of prep could be valuable for an event like this.

It's an interesting point of policy debate I guess.

Could this storm really surpass Feb 5-6 2010?

This is a very strong Nino. Consider the major weather events we have already seen across the country since early 2015. 12 inches of rain in Gadsden AL (not sure of the date) the 16 inch deluge in Austin TX on Oct 30, and someplace in South Carolina that got pummeled by two feet of rain last summer.

Anything is possible with this anomalous Nino. If there was enough qpf and we did not mix, I imagine that three feet of snow in DC could occur, although that is very unlikely.

So I'm on Air BnB and found some real cheap places for rent in Frederick VA....Good spot you think? Friday would be crazy. I'd have to grab my paycheck in the AM, around 9am, run some quick errands and drive the 3 hours or so to the location hopefully before the snow moves in lol...Any other area recommendations? 

Archived