Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kudos to NWS GSP for a Good Call with the Storm

Thanks to NWS GSP for providing superb balanced guidance on this storm. They were spot on with discounting models such as th ECMWF that were showing unrealistic Precip and Snow Totals outside of the mountains and immediate foothills.

Their heavily weighting of NAM was a good call.

Always count on the pros when the weather really matters.

Thanks to NWS GSP for providing superb balanced guidance on this storm. They were spot on with discounting models such as th ECMWF that were showing unrealistic Precip and Snow Totals outside of the mountains and immediate foothills.

Absolutely spot on. Pretty much a perfect forecast!

Yep, at the end of the day these guys are the best! Some great winter forecasters over there.....

Could not agree more. The forecast yesterday morning was for 5.5 to 6.5 total accumulations in my area. We ended up with 4 inches of snow and between 1-2 inches of sleet and a thin glaze of ice on the trees. 3 inches of the snow came from the wrap around last night which I can't tell you the last time that happened in this area! 

Yep, at the end of the day these guys are the best! Some great winter forecasters over there.....

They were about average imo for clt. They seemed to prefer the GFS earlier on even though the Euro had the correct southern track solution all along, so they were behind a bit there I think. Then the day before they stayed with the freezing rain forecast for clt even though the trends showed clt was probably going to be either snow or sleet based on the strength of the wedge. They called the no snow correctly though, much to my sorrow!

They were about normal imo for clt. They rode the GFS even though the Euro had the correct southern track solution all along, so they were late to the party there. Then the day before they rode the freezing rain train for clt even though the trends showed clt was either going to be snow or sleet based on the strength of the wedge. For clt they were a bit behind the model trends I think. They called the no snow correctly though, much to my sorrow!

Really?

They were about normal imo for clt. They rode the GFS even though the Euro had the correct southern track solution all along, so they were late to the party there. Then the day before they rode the freezing rain train for clt even though the trends showed clt was either going to be snow or sleet based on the strength of the wedge. For clt they were a bit behind the model trends I think. They called the no snow correctly though, much to my sorrow!

What was the Euro's lead time for sig snow in to NYC?

Hhhmmmm, strange since just a couple days ago isohume responded specifically to you about them using all the models for their forecasts and not just one or two.

I doubt isohume has the time or energy to respond with evidence to everyone who makes asinine statements, but that doesn't mean others on here don't. I don't even see how you can make a comment like that.....

Below are the only call maps I have from GSP, but it's from Thursday morning at 7:44 am and they just about nailed it. It's nearly perfect for me just south of CLT. I thought it would bust at that time since the models kept increasing totals, but they were on top it for sure.

a37b6670b779916bd62d25331bbb2267.jpg

c08bb44607e4d31757ff861dcda6df3e.jpg

As far as freezing rain etc...it's impossible to forecast exactly where different types start and stop when one county makes the difference between ZR and snow. Precip types were all over the place back and forth during this storm.

BUT, the models never stopped showing freezing rain for CLT and never showed it would only be sleet and/or snow. This ZR estimate below was from Thursday night.

1876dea14a729edf9c6513111ee24777.jpg

And strength of the wedge? The 850 0 line didn't reach CLT until late last night. Below are the 850's from 6:30 pm last night and it was just starting to get to CLT.

13fc82986968f74a0e63f4d27e021daf.jpg

Gotta give them credit for not getting wrapped up in the hype from the models in the hours leading up to the storm like all of us and sticking to their forecasts with only minor adjustments.

Definitely spot on and great forecast by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?

On this specific event, that's how it seemed to me. Didn't mean to say it's been done all the time. If I'm wrong I apologize. Just my opinion based on when frozen precip entered the forcast and when the GFS trended more south.

Also, didn't mean to come across as disrespectful for the time and energy put into the forecast and the work you guys do. Thanks.

There were even snow flurries in the Florida panhandle

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOBILE AL

1206 AM CST SAT JAN 23 2016

.DISCUSSION...SEE UPDATED INFORMATION BELOW.

&&

.UPDATE...KEVX RADAR IS DETECTING THAT THE REMAINING SNOW FLURRIES

ACROSS COVINGTON COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL ALABAMA AND OKALOOSA COUNTY

IN THE WESTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE ARE SET TO EXIT THE SOUTHEAST

PORTION OF THE FORECAST AREA. DRIER AIR HAS BEGUN TO FILTER INTO THE

REGION WITH OUR MISSISSIPPI COUNTIES NOW UNDER CLEAR SKIES...AND IT

IS BEGINNING TO CLEAR IN SOUTHWEST ALABAMA. THE FLURRIES HAVE ENDED

ACROSS THE REMINDER OF THE FORECAST AREA AS THE INITIAL SURGES OF

COLD AIR THAT MOVED ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA EARLIER HAS ENDED ALONG

WITH DRIER AIR MOVING IN FROM THE NORTHWEST. FORECAST HAS BEEN

UPDATED TO REMOVE ANY MENTION OF SNOW FLURRIES FOR THE REMAINDER OF

THE NIGHT. /22