• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

thank you Strong - in Greenville (SC) County, I-85 seems to be the dividing line for wintry weather - I'm beginning to worry about ice accretion for the city of Greenville

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you Strong - in Greenville (SC) County, I-85 seems to be the dividing line for wintry weather - I'm beginning to worry about ice accretion for the city of Greenville

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

652 AM EST FRI JAN 22 2016

.SYNOPSIS...

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL CONTINUE SPREAD WINTRY

PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE REGION TODAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL

EVENTUALLY MOVE OFFSHORE ON SATURDAY WITH DRIER HIGH PRESSURE

SPREADING BACK OVER THE REGION IN ITS WAKE ON SUNDAY AND MONDAY.

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 630 AM FRIDAY...MAJOR WINTER STORM UNDERWAY WITH SNOW ACROSS

THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS...WITH SOME REPORTS OF 4-5 INCHES

ALREADY. ACROSS THE PIEDMONT...SNOW/SLEET HAS MAINLY TRANSITIONED

TO FREEZING RAIN. FREEZING LINE IS HOVERING ACROSS THE UPSTATE

WITH STIFF NE WINDS DEVELOPING AS THE DAMMING CONTINUES TO SET

IN. WHATEVER THE TEMPERATURE IS NOW...THAT WILL PROBABLY BE THE HIGH

TODAY EXCEPT PERHAPS IN EXTREME SOUTHERN ZONES. TRAVEL CONDITIONS

ARE DANGEROUS ACROSS MOST OF NC...WITH STILL A DECENT DRIVE ACROSS

PORTIONS OF THE UPSTATE BUT AS FREEZING RAIN CONTINUES CONDITIONS

WILL WORSEN THROUGH THE DAY. NO CHANGES TO THE PRODUCT SUITE AT

THIS TIME.

OTHER CONCERN IS DEPTH OF THE WARM NOSE ACROSS THE AREA. 04Z SPECIAL

SOUNDING FROM UNCA HAD +2C JUST ABOVE 850MB...AND 06Z KGSO SOUNDING

WAS ALSO JUST BELOW +2C JUST ABOVE 850MB BUT VERY VERY DRY. 850MB

WINDS SHOULD BEGIN TO BACK WHICH WILL HELP TO REDUCE THE WAA...AND

BY 130AM THE AVL AREA HAD CHANGED OVER TO A SNOW/SLEET MIX...SO

LATENT HEAT OF MELTING IS DEFINITELY HELPING TO ERODE THE WARM

NOSE. FARTHER NORTH...EVAPORATIVE COOLING WILL TAKE CARE OF THE

ISSUE. THE PRIMARY CONCERN FOR ICE WILL BE ACROSS THE UPSTATE AND

PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHERN NC PIEDMONT WHERE THAT MID-LEVEL WAA WILL

BRING A SUBSTANTIAL WARM NOSE OVER THE AREA BY MIDDAY TODAY. AS

MENTIONED ABOVE...CONTINUED CAA AT THE SURFACE FROM THE DAMMING WILL

RESULT IN SURFACE TEMPS DROPPING TO FREEZING BY DAYBREAK FOR ALL BUT

EXTREME SOUTHERN COUNTIES. ADDITIONALLY...ALL GUIDANCE CONTINUES TO

POINT TO DRYSLOTTING PUSHING INTO WESTERN ZONES AROUND 18Z...AND

MOVING TO THE EAST OF THE AREA BY 00Z. WITHOUT MOISTURE IN THE

DENDRITIC SNOW GROWTH ZONE...EVEN AREAS SEEING MAINLY A SNOW EVENT

COULD SEE A BRIEF PERIOD OF FREEZING RAIN THIS AFTERNOON. AS THE

UPPER LOW MOVES OVER THE FORECAST AREA...STEEPENING LAPSE RATES

AND UPWARD MOTION FROM SYNOPTIC LIFT WILL SATURATE THE COLUMN

AGAIN CHANGING OVER TO ALL SNOW FOR THE END. IF LAPSE RATES ARE

STEEP ENOUGH...CANNOT RULE OUT SOME BRIEF CONVECTIVE SNOW THAT

WILL RESULT IN INCREASED SNOWFALL RATES.

SO IF YOU'RE STILL WITH ME BY THIS POINT...ALL THIS REALLY ADDS

UP TO IS A VERY LONG AND DETAILED WAY TO SAY VERY LITTLE CHANGE TO

THE CURRENT SUITE OF PRODUCTS AND INFORMATION. COULD SEE A BIT OF

A DELAY IN FREEZING/FROZEN PTYPE ONSET FOR SOUTHERN COUNTIES BUT

END RESULT STILL THE SAME. SHOULD SEE A QUICK BURST OF SNOW/SLEET

EARLY THIS MORNING...CHANGING OVER TO FREEZING RAIN ACROSS THE

UPSTATE AND PORTIONS OF THE SW NC PIEDMONT THROUGH THE DAY. AS THE

UPPER LOW MOVES ACROSS...FREEZING RAIN SHOULD CHANGE BACK OVER TO

SNOW. ALL IN ALL A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM FOR THE AREA...WITH

UPWARDS OF A FOOT OF SNOW ACROSS EXTREME NORTHERN MOUNTAINS AND A

LARGE SWATH OVER 1/2 INCH OF ICE ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE UPSTATE

AND SOUTHERN NC PIEDMONT. REALLY SEE NO REASON TO DEVIATE FROM

WPC SNOW/ICE AMOUNTS THOUGH THERE DEFINITELY COULD BE LOCALLY

HEAVIER/LIGHTER AMOUNTS ESPECIALLY DEPENDING ON HOW CONVECTIVE BANDS

SET UP. WITH THESE SIGNIFICANT TOTALS AND WINTRY PRECIP HAVING

ALREADY BEGUN...PREPARATIONS FOR THE WINTER STORM SHOULD ALREADY

BE COMPLETE AND FROM HERE ON OUT...ANY TRAVEL SHOULD BE DISCOURAGED.

&&

Just in from GSP these are there final forecast totals for the storm:

No way 85 in upstate sees anywhere near 4-6 and 6-8. Most have only had rain, some of us have glaze, and only very few have had actual accumulating snow. They must be counting on big time backend snow. I would cut that in thirds for areas closer 85, and that may be generous unless back end really performs.

So you mean further inland?

Looks like they are saying it will track up the coast of SC/NC. Was hoping someone with more expertise could let us know if this is verifying in real time now or not. From what I have read on here near the coast means more WAA and NC's preferred track for more snow is a track near Hatteras. As usual it all depends on where you live.

Someone help me understand.. If the transfer to the coastal takes place as depicted by the Euro this would aid considerably in snowfall amounts correct? Obviously closer to the coast limits amounts east but southern development and a rapidly deepening low would bode well this evening/tomorrow correct?

No way 85 in upstate sees anywhere near 4-6 and 6-8. Most have only had rain, some of us have glaze, and only very few have had actual accumulating snow. They must be counting on big time backend snow. I would cut that in thirds for areas closer 85, and that may be generous unless back end really performs.

I would not be so quick to say "take 1/3rd out" in certain areas of the forecast area around the I-85 Corridor. ESPECIALLY from WEST of I-85! I have 3" on the ground from overnight. I received this in literally 2.5 hrs. From receiving input from WxSouth, NWS and studying the Radar Loop(s), it seems that we are STILL in the GAME! :) This storm is LONG from over! While I have someone's attention, I am wondering about the effects of this storm UPSTREAM (the Mid ATL and Northeast?)?? Is everything still ON TRACK to HAMMER them? Or is this system pushing more EAST/Northeast? Just curious and thanks in advance for any guidance from here out!

Best regards,

Jason  

Matthew East

@eastwx 3m3 minutes ago

Radar coverage is much more spotty than I envisioned at this point. Makes you wonder...

I'm blaming the Miller B. Never seems to work. Transfer still maybe good for the east when the storm blows up off the coast, but I think west NC is in for a huge bust. Hoping for the deformation band when the ULL goes by later.

I would not be so quick to say "take 1/3rd out" in certain areas of the forecast area around the I-85 Corridor. ESPECIALLY from WEST of I-85! I have 3" on the ground from overnight. I received this in literally 2.5 hrs. From receiving input from WxSouth, NWS and studying the Radar Loop(s), it seems that we are STILL in the GAME! :) This storm is LONG from over! While I have someone's attention, I am wondering about the effects of this storm UPSTREAM (the Mid ATL and Northeast?)?? Is everything still ON TRACK to HAMMER them? Or is this system pushing more EAST/Northeast? Just curious and thanks in advance for any guidance from here out!

Best regards,

Jason

They also said the changeover was taking longer than forecast, from rain to zr (GSP) and said freezing rain through midday. I'm sure they know that S of 85 , has had all rain, so to have a snow map with south of 85 in the 4-6" range, is bold, especially looking at the radar! That deform band better be amazing!

I like the Look of the radar right now for NC/SC. I think it's a good thing that the initial line of precip has really died off over the last 6 hours. This will only help precip blossom around the upper low behind it. You can already see this happening south of atlanta.  I think in 3 or 4 hours the radar will really be lit up over Georgia moving in SC and the NC folk will feel much better.

Calm down everyone check out Brad P's new vlog: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1011440545595068 

It explains the situation well. Plus look at the radar back in MS/AL/ WGA it is filling in nicely. Nobody should be thinking this is a bust yet.

And, this explains why he gets paid the big bucks to be a meteorologist, while the rest of us are modelologists.  He did a great job explaining how the moisture will soon be blossoming over the western half of NC as the low transfers and wraps more moisture around from the cold high source to the north.  The best is yet to come...

For the record, I wasn't saying the storm was a bust in my tweet quoted above. I was really just saying that we had 'wasted' part of the storm with spotty coverage.

Yea, really no forcing at the moment. This is why the mountains have been getting clobbered and the Piedmont and foothills under performing thus far. 

mdiv.se.png

And, this explains why he gets paid the big bucks to be a meteorologist, while the rest of us are modelologists.  He did a great job explaining how the moisture will soon be blossoming over the western half of NC as the low transfers and wraps more moisture around from the cold high source to the north.  The best is yet to come...

I feel like modelologists should understand this too but maybe people forgot that this was a hybrid Miller B/A and are treating it like a Miller A so they think it's busting? That's all I can think of. People forgot that during and shortly after the transfer is when we get the most moisture which should cause central NC to get 1) sleeted or 2) crippling ice storm, and after the transfer  is when we should be concerned about a dry slot if one is to form. Most of the observing is yet to come.

Archived