Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

This is what I was worried about for RDU cc: burger

from their AFD at 1045 (sorry if it's already been discussed)

IN ADDITION...BUFR SOUNDING AND PARTIAL THICKNESS DATA FROM THE

RAP/GFS/NAM...INCLUDING THE 00Z RUN OF THE LATTER...WOULD SUGGEST

SLEET MAY BE A PREDOMINATE PRECIPITATION TYPE FOR SEVERAL HOURS ON

FRIDAY...WHICH WOULD REDUCE BOTH FROZEN (SNOW AND SLEET) AND

FREEZING RAIN ACCUMULATION FOR THE EVENT...WITH THE LATTER LESSENING

THE IMPACT OF OTHERWISE CRIPPLING FREEZING RAIN ACCRUAL. WOULD LIKE

TO SEE THE FULL SUITE OF THE 00Z MODEL GUIDANCE BEFORE MAKING TOO

DRASTIC OF CHANGES TO THOSE ACCUMULATIONS...HOWEVER.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS Blacksburg just emailed me (skywarn peeps) a few mins ago saying 4" rates are possible. Sick.

Yeah, about an hour ago, I was under heavy rain bands that are delivering between .4 inches an hour. That was headed for the northeast. I'd imagine some of those bands can produce 3-4 inches of snow an hour....maybe even isolated 5 inches of snow an hour.

This rain here is certainly going to be awesome for someone upstream. It's tropical-like rain, very steady and on the heavier side.

Yeah, about an hour ago, I was under heavy rain bands that are delivering between .4 inches an hour. That was headed for the northeast. I'd imagine some of those bands can produce 3-4 inches of snow an hour....maybe even isolated 5 inches of snow an hour.

Doesn't this indicate the SLP is about to make a turn?

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=3p&inv=0&t=cur

If I interpret that map properly, its showing where the greatest pressure falls are, and I agree that the slp should move gererally in that direction, however keep in mind that the pressure is higher in that area, one of the reasons the drop in pressure has a greater change.

The slp and the ull are still further south than generally modeled.

As several have mentioned, the rain here north of ATL is steady and cold (around 40)... shifting to heavy at times... going to enjoy watching the other members of this board have a great couple of days... 

Also - school cancelled here tomorrow... imagine the same for all counties north of me (Cherokee).

If I interpret that map properly, its showing where the greatest pressure falls are, and I agree that the slp should move gererally in that direction, however keep in mind that the pressure is higher in that area, one of the reasons the drop in pressure has a greater change.

The slp and the ull are still further south than generally modeled.

Thanks and that makes sense. The ULL is important for our area.

It's broken on EuroWX, SV, and WxBell right now.  Stopped at 12 hours.  24 hour maps/low location all I have on tropical tidbits currently.  Pops the low over to NE SC/Coast 24 hrs from 00z.

It's stronger with the coastal at 24 hrs

Kind of sucks.  Midlo said 18 and 24 data were missing on the 00z Euro.  So we are a bit in the dark on temps, precip amounts, etc.  Sorry guys, no detailed Euro tonight.

We're not going to get anything at all?  If so, I am pretty frustrated considering I pay $20/month almost exclusively for the Euro on WB (AmericanWx's model suite is my preferred model suite for almost everything else).  So to not be able to see the Euro now would be unacceptable.

EDIT: Not blaming WB, just saying that it is frustrating.

Yeah, you want it south of you, but not too far south, lol.  Poor Greg knows that all too well :)  T

You're killing me Tony! Missed you yesterday, bud. When I see sleet there is only one poster I think of...LOL! I am still liking where the ULL is sitting right now. Could still pick up some pretty good snow if it pans out just right. (2 or 3 in.). Next week has caught my attention. That would make you happy, I promise. Nice overrunning event.

You're killing me Tony! Missed you yesterday, bud. When I see sleet there is only one poster I think of...LOL! I am still liking where the ULL is sitting right now. Could still pick up some pretty good snow if it pans out just right. (2 or 3 in.). Next week has caught my attention. That would make you happy, I promise. Nice overrunning event.

Yeah, I love this pattern where every few days there's another chance. Wed looks like it has sneaky ideas like this one does. Hope it picks it up again in Feb.  As long as the ull goes by around La Grange I'm good from past experience, and this one is a good bit bigger so you won't get spring bit again if it does, lol.  I really felt bad for you on that one :)  I love that the cad has ampted up.... might get to see some pellets tomorrow late...hoping, lol.  It makes for more interesting variables, as well as the lows moving further south over time.  Fun storm!  T

Yeah, I love this pattern where every few days there's another chance. Wed looks like it has sneaky ideas like this one does. Hope it picks it up again in Feb.  As long as the ull goes by around La Grange I'm good from past experience, and this one is a good bit bigger so you won't get spring bit again if it does, lol.  I really felt bad for you on that one :)  I love that the cad has ampted up.... might get to see some pellets tomorrow late...hoping, lol.  It makes for more interesting variables, as well as the lows moving further south over time.  Fun storm!  T

It's been fun to track with our neighbors to the N for sure after the December of pain. This was never our storm but it at least visited the neighborhood.

It's been fun to track with our neighbors to the N for sure after the December of pain. This was never our storm but it at least visited the neighborhood.

I'm still holding out for one to drop a foot or more on me, but any time something falls I'm glad to see it, including rain :) I've got to be over an inch now.  I've been so rain wealthy since mid summer I feel like Scrooge McDuck :)  I don't even pay attention if it ain't over an inch, lol.  Probably be the same with the snow.  I'd need two inches to be impressed :)  But way more than that will fall to give me a dusting, so I'm taking that into account. Had a lot of rain that will take some work to adhere to.   T

Archived