joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROA was around 1.7".  A bit less than the 00z run for most of VA (though still plenty).  QPF in most of NC stayed about the same. 

Allan Huffman (RaleighWx), Matthew East (msuwx), or Chris Simmons (deltadog).  Maybe even Robert (foothillsnc/wxsouth), though he doesn't come around here much anymore (he did one of the radio shows in 2010, IIRC).  We also have Cheeznado from N GA and HurricaneTracker from WNC.  I am probably leaving out some.

James. Can you give some totals from the Euro for locations? qpf and snow total! thanks if you can..... 

James. Can you give some totals from the Euro for locations? qpf and snow total! thanks if you can..... 

Mt. Airy is 1.9" QPF and 18" on the WB clown.  Looks to be all-snow to me, at least on the maps WB has available.  HKY and CLT are around 1.9" QPF.  GSO is 1.9".  RDU is 1.7".  GSP is 1.9-2".

Charlottesville, VA looks like the winner on the 12z Euro with close to 2.5" QPF.  DCA and BWI are around 2.2" and totals decrease as you go north/west from there.

Mt. Airy is 1.9" QPF and 18" on the WB clown.  Looks to be all-snow to me, at least on the maps WB has available.  HKY and CLT are around 1.9" QPF.  GSO is 1.9".  RDU is 1.7".  GSP is 1.9-2".

I've got WB, I see the clown map but where do you find the one that has the number shown for snow total per certain locations? 

I'm colorblind and I can't put the colors together with the numbers of inches on the right hand side.  lol

yeah I seen that map, just can't put the colors with the number of inches on right side. #colorblind  lol  Thanks!

Make sure you select "United States" and then "North Carolina".  It prints out text numbers for the major airports (including MWK).  I can't accurately discriminate between all the different shades of pink and purple, either, LOL.

Alan's latest 6645e4f207c5e418dd9f0b734b12ef64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like this map -- but I would shift everything about 50 miles northwest. This is not a critique because Allan knows his stuff, just my gut here. I think we'll have more mixing issues over the Triad. 

Make sure you select "United States" and then "North Carolina".  It prints out text numbers for the major airports (including MWK).  I can't accurately discriminate between all the different shades of purple, either, LOL.

ok got it now, thanks again!!!  Looks like it keeps me in mid 20's during the storm also....  :snowing:

ROA was around 1.7".  A bit less than the 00z run for most of VA (though still plenty).  QPF in most of NC stayed about the same. 

Allan Huffman (RaleighWx), Matthew East (msuwx), or Chris Simmons (deltadog).  Maybe even Robert (foothillsnc/wxsouth), though he doesn't come around here much anymore (he did one of the radio shows in 2010, IIRC).  We also have Cheeznado from N GA and HurricaneTracker from WNC.  I am probably leaving out some.

If you cant get hold of them: See if Brick Tamland is available

Oh, he said that???

Yeah here is what he posted on FB.

"In north Georgia, snow is likely Friday night. I think that because of the strong upward forcing in the atmosphere, the amount of moisture that will continue flowing into the area, and the rapid fall in temperatures, we could see a burst of snow in the 2-4 inch range over parts of the area. That could be anywhere from an Atlanta to Athens line and northward"

Come up to Saluda NC, I'm expecting big numbers in this area due to lift enhancement from the mountains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah just checked your area NWS calling for 8-18 inches for you. And calling for 10-15 inches for me but during the live Q&A I asked if my totals could be increased with the afternoon package around 4pm and they said very possible. So I think we are both going to be big winners! :thumbsup:

Yeah here is what he posted on FB.

"In north Georgia, snow is likely Friday night. I think that because of the strong upward forcing in the atmosphere, the amount of moisture that will continue flowing into the area, and the rapid fall in temperatures, we could see a burst of snow in the 2-4 inch range over parts of the area. That could be anywhere from an Atlanta to Athens line and northward"

that's from yesterday. His updated version is much more conservative

RAH Aviation discussion:

.AVIATION /18Z THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
AS OF 130 PM THURSDAY...

VFR CONDITIONS WILL PREVAIL TODAY AND MUCH OF TONIGHT.

24 HOUR TAF PERIOD: VFR CONDITIONS ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA THIS
AFTERNOON...HOWEVER THIS WILL CHANGE AS THE APPROACHING WINTER STORM
GETS CLOSER AND THERE IS A VERY HIGH CONFIDENCE OF SUB-VFR
CONDITIONS AFTER ABOUT 9Z FRIDAY...MAYBE 12Z AT KRWI. AS THE STORM
COMES IN...KINT AND KGSO WILL BE AFFECTED FIRST AS SNOW BEGINS TO
FALL FRIDAY MORNING. VISIBILITIES AND CEILINGS SHOULD INITIALLY DROP
INTO THE MVFR RANGE AND THEN IFR RANGE AS THE INTENSITY OF SNOW
INCREASES. FOR THE TRIAD SITES THE FORECAST THROUGH 18Z FRIDAY IS
FAIRLY STRAIGHT FORWARD AS SNOW SHOULD BE THE ONLY PRECIPITATION
TYPE ENCOUNTERED. AFTER THE TAF PERIOD THERE WILL BE A TRANSITION TO
SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

FOR KRDU THE ONSET TIMING WILL BE A LITTLE LATER BUT ALSO STARTING
OUT AS SNOW BUT THEN TRANSITIONING OVER TO SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN
CLOSER TO IF NOT BEFORE 18Z. AT KFAY MOST OF THE PRECIPITATION WILL
FALL AS SLEET OR FREEZING RAIN AS TEMPERATURES WILL BE WARMER IN
THIS AREA. KRWI WILL SEE A LATER ONSET TIME. WITH A TRANSITION TO
SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN MOST LIKELY EARLIER IN THE AFTERNOON. ALL
SITES ARE EXPECTED TO HOLD IFR CONDITIONS ONCE THEY GO DOWN.

ALL SITES WILL EXPERIENCE SOME WIND GUSTS FRIDAY AFTERNOON IN
ADDITION TO THE FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS. GUSTS WILL BE 15-20 KNOTS ACROSS
THE NORTH WITH 20-25 KTS POSSIBLE AT KFAY.

LONG TERM: WINTER STORM WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE AREA THROUGH
SATURDAY NIGHT WITH HIGH CONFIDENCE OF ADVERSE AVIATION CONDITIONS.
VFR CONDITIONS WILL RETURN ON SUNDAY UNTIL THE NEXT SYSTEM
APPROACHES THE AREA ON TUESDAY NIGHT.

Archived