• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

I have a feeling now that the models are all aligning that CLT for once might cash in. I refuse to believe 3 inches of sleet. I think this is either going to be one of those crushing ZR events or a big snow event. As usual we are right on the line but could it really sleet for like 10 hours straight, especially under heavy returns? I doubt it. 

I did during the 96 storm in Wake Forest.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling now that the models are all aligning that CLT for once might cash in. I refuse to believe 3 inches of sleet. I think this is either going to be one of those crushing ZR events or a big snow event. As usual we are right on the line but could it really sleet for like 10 hours straight, especially under heavy returns? I doubt it. 

Could be a snow/sleet mix for a while....would still add up on the ground.

Still trending colder.. could end up being a nearly all snow event NW of I-85.  GFS looking more like the GEFS every cycle.

Here are the past two runs of the GFS using the Kuchera method to cut out the nonsense.  This should be pretty close:

6z

And the much improved 12z:

Impressive gradient around the Triangle going from ~2" in Raleigh to 6"+ in Orange/Durham county.. 

Fwiw ffc has expanded the winter storm warning to include gainesville...1 to 3 ices of snow and 0.25 ice. Cmc would mean a hell of a lot more

hmmmm...this reminds me of a storm from dec 2005 where it was supposed to be a cold rain and ended up a huge ice storm from gainesville north and east.  and the infamous "i hope you get an inch of ice" comment lol

not saying that this will be a repeat, but there appear to be some similarities unfolding which could be why they have started expanding the warnings.  i have to say usually its snow to ice to rain. having it rain to ice to snow will be interesting to see if it actually pans out.  i would really like to see what it looks like to have accumulating snow on top of some ice - should be pretty cool lol

Real Time Nomogram Plots and Partial Thickness Data

CVJWgzM.png

TREND’s 6 hourly predominant p-type categories include:

• All snow
  • All snow or snow/sleet mix
  • Icing – measurable sleet with freezing rain
  • Icing – freezing rain mixed with trace frozen
  • Freezing rain or rain
  • Rain
  • Measurable snow with rain
  • Wintry mixtures

Changes to or mixing with other p-types are in part determined by noting which predominant p-type category the thickness values are trending toward. When the partial thickness values are located near an adjacent p-type category and are trending toward that adjacent category, forecasters should reflect this trend in their 6 hourly forecast of p-type. 

Reference material and current observed are here:

http://www.weather.gov/rah/nomogram

Specific GFS Nomogram Forecasts are here:

Use top tabs for common geographical boundary cities.

http://www.weather.gov/rah/gfsnomogram

Specific NAM Nomogram Forecasts are here:

http://www.weather.gov/rah/namnomogram

Specific Canadian GEM RUC Forecasts are here:

http://www.weather.gov/rah/canadiangemnomogram

Specific WRF-ARM Nomogram forecasts are ehre:

http://www.weather.gov/rah/wrfarwnomogram

Specific RUC Nomogram Forecasts are here:

http://www.weather.gov/rah/rucnomogram

Data is not available for the ECMWF.

Awesome, thanks for links!!   I doubt Peachtree city is much help to downtown Atlanta or their north suburbs lol

Van Denton still thinks Ice Possibilities are high

Update on Winter Storm 12noon Thursday 1/21/2016

PLEASE SHARE so this gets to the masses ...thank you.

Limited graphic options from home, so I am using these great sources which also match our forecast from last night.

1. Snowfall graphic produced by NWS in Raleigh
2. Freezing graphic produced by NWS in Raleigh
3. Snowfall graphic produced by WPC via WxBell.com

Everything appears to still be on track with snow and some sleet starting late tonight after midnight from the SW reaching the Triad near 4am. A gradual transition to more sleet and some freezing rain will advance from SE to NW during the morning (as a relatively warm layer moves in above the surface near 5000 feet). The areas that stays snow and sleet the longest will be the NW and therefore higher snow totals.

Parts of Montgomery and Chatham counties and points south and east have a chance to get to 33 and experience some non-freezing rain by late afternoon or evening. The rest of us should stay at or below freezing leading to significant freezing rain potential. Most of the Piedmont should experience 0.25-0.49" of freezing rain. This alone is enough for some power issues. As you can see from the Ice graphic (this does NOT include sleet..not sure why they call it ICE and not freezing rain)....it shows 0.50 to 0.74" over the southern side of the Triad down into parts of Davidson, most of Randolph, Montgomery and southern Alamance. This area is threatened most by potential power problems.

After a mix during the day on Friday, we expect colder air to move back into the 5000 foot level when winds shift at that level as the coastal low forms. This would then change remaining precipitation back to snow. There could still be some freezing drizzle at times when precip is light due to the precip forming in a lower part of the cloud that isn't as cold.

The chance for snow showers will continue into Saturday with more in the north. I would expect 1-2 inches to be the average from these showers (less south where it should be patchy).

Sunday will be dry and good weather at the Panther game. However, Charlotte is probably going to have major ice problems and there may be some lingering issues.

Can't recall I've ever seen all rain in Asheville and gone down the mountain to all snow. I've seen freezing rain and sleet in the French Broad River Valley, and gone down the mountain to snow, but never as drastic as you listed.

Banter,mods you can delete. It happened last year got 3.5 inches while Asheville got rain/snow mix with no accumulation. I don't believe it was possible either, but it happened. So I guess we can agree to disagree, an move on. Good luck to you and everyone else I think Mtns/foothills are in for a good storm. Hopefully temps aloft can keep us all snow. Looking forward to realcasting an obs. God bless and be safe everyone!

hmmmm...this reminds me of a storm from dec 2005 where it was supposed to be a cold rain and ended up a huge ice storm from gainesville north and east. and the infamous "i hope you get an inch of ice" comment lol

not saying that this will be a repeat, but there appear to be some similarities unfolding which could be why they have started expanding the warnings. i have to say usually its snow to ice to rain. having it rain to ice to snow will be interesting to see if it actually pans out. i would really like to see what it looks like to have accumulating snow on top of some ice - should be pretty cool lol

I remember that fiasco. A lot of mets out of the region only saw a departing high and didn't bet one lick on the in-situ wedging locking down with incredibly initial dry Dewpoints. While many heated debates raged on, the SE crowd and mets alike immediately jumped on the wedge locking despite it in-situ and diabatically enhanced, despite a retreating HP. Nightmare event.

Wow, thanks Grit. That would be outstanding! I'll take 9 hours of snow on Friday and run. Great temps too! Seems like the GFS and RGEM have been trending more snow/sleet for 85 north.

The Saturday stuff is precarious imo, I don't think we get much once the low is off the coast to our east.

EDIT: Man, the cmc looks awesome too 85 north.let's keep this look please!!

Yeah, that was strictly from the model.  Probably have to move up the changeover time from snow to sleet a few hours knowing that warm noses tend to overperform.  We don't normally get any of the backside snow, but this is a special case with the strong, closed upper low passing overhead.

Just a note on soil temperatures. Soil temperatures are very cold right now, much colder than we usually see in the South with winter storms. You can see soil temps in the 30-35 degree range in the NW third of NC with 35-40 degree soil temps for the majority of the remainder of places that are likely going to be in for wintry precip. I'd expect the snow to stick quickly, even to the roads.

I don't think it's a big deal given the intensity of this storm, but it never hurts.

Sounds like KCLT has basically been shut down for tomorrow.

http://greencastonline.com/tools/gisFull.asp?maps=NationalToday

What in the world is wrong with the SREF?  For RDU, some members have temps in the 40s near 50.

I guess we can throw that out?

I think its a hunk of junk.  Has ridiculous spread at short lead times. Somehow its qpf mean usually comes out pretty good which is the only think I really use it for.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Something is wrong with teh 9z SREF, there's no precip falling on the soundings at RDU throughout the run. What the?

Archived