joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's super close for sure. Either way, it's going to be a significant winter event. The NAM did seem to bring the initial precip in quicker than the overnigh runs and that's a good thing.

NAM has easterly winds for a few hours Friday morning across central NC. This is messing up the CAD flow and is the reason why area's to the south don't get below freezing, (upstate SC, and N.E. Georgia).

Is it believable, I dunno??

VERY good points...and that little change can train wreck a forecast...I wish the GFS would pick up more on wedge..lets see what the doc has to say as well...

NAM has easterly winds for a few hours Friday morning across central NC. This is messing up the CAD flow and is the reason why area's to the south don't get below freezing, (upstate SC, and N.E. Georgia).

With a 995 surface low over the sound it isn't just possible it's likely and what is worse is its gonna be warm air.....it's the elephant in the room for sure.

Ooooh this is a d*** good point. I was just having a discussion about this very thing with a family member!

Should be interesting for us in Southside VA. I've noticed though that some locals have lowered our totals from yesterday

Mostly due to mixing, this is my first big storm here so i'm not sure how local climo usually works here, but I would be surprised if we don't get 8 inches of snow looking at a blend of all models.. our lowest total now is around a foot..

Probably late to the party, 12z Nam was much improved from 06z for RDU. Heavy snow at onset followed by ZR throughout entire run it appears. Will look at soundings soon. If anyone has fast sounding links besides PSU I'd be interested.

as usual, ne ga and the upstate are pretty much riding the liquid/frozen ice/snow line lol.  i should be used to it.  amazing how close it can be and just one or two degrees either way making all the difference. 

not sure if i have seen them do this, but gsp is having a q/a session on the storm today lol

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201601211345-KGSP-NOUS42-PNSGSP

Probably late to the party, 12z Nam was much improved from 06z for RDU. Heavy snow at onset followed by ZR throughout entire run it appears. Will look at soundings soon. If anyone has fast sounding links besides PSU I'd be interested.

Think triangle stays all frozen . Trend since euro last night. Lets see if the Nam can keep the coastal low east of the obx in latter runs. if we can get  it to follow euro on that last lap then we all should be able to increase accums and see more sleet during that 9 hour window in the middle as oppossed to frzng rain. Tell you some one is gonna get raked with freezing rain/wind. the euro last night puts it from eastern upstate into midlands.

Archived