SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major 12z model runs so far for the Winston-Salem area: GFS 13" with 1.4" total precip, NAM 13" with 1.6" total precip, and Canadian 8" with 1.5" total precip.  Looks like the models are settling in on 1.5" liquid equivalent for triad area with less of a mixing issue than previous model runs.  Hopefully the Euro holds.

I expect more mixing than what is shown on models for our neck of the woods.

Yep, I agree. Models will continue to bounce around, but just based on past storms -- WS/GSO/HP tend to be in the sleet storm area. We shall see. 

Individual members on GEFS are very interesting.  Most have the primary low staying low, with little northward movement, and thus keeping the midlevels cold enough.  Then transfers the low to the SC coast.  Hybrid A/B storm.  Several keep the snow line near I-85.

Hey can I ask a met or someone like Wow or Burg a question? For my latitude I'm curious when am I looking for the secondary low to explode in order to give me the maximum amount of snow I can get out the system, via the deformation or CCB? I'm curious when I go to look Friday where I want to see the secondary start exploding.

Yes, good read.  I now understand why the Moderators like to keep the IMBY questions off the technical sites.  Being sandwiched between the MA and SE we don't get much commentary about our region along the central border (VA/NC) -- out here in-between-land, the models appear pretty consistent that we are snow (4 - 6"), sleet (?") and zr (<.05").  Below US 158 and east of US 15 looks wetter, with a change to rain.  North of US 58 and west of US 321 = all snow (12").  Any souls out there who know our region -- agree?    

That sounds about right to me. I'm a good bit further east than you are, but north of most of NC. We tend to be more similar to Norfolk weather (without the direct maritime issues) than to RDU for example.

I expect more mixing here, but still looks like a pretty good hit. Could stay in the coma head longer than most and that would help with the totals here in northeastern NC.

When do you guys think Winter Storm Warnings/Watches or ICE Storm Warnings will be Issued by GSP?

No later than tomorrow morning. I would guess to venture with all the available data that has been available this morning that it is becoming more and more likely they would feel comfortable pulling the trigger due to the severity of a possible ice storm for a bunch of folks. Tomorrow morning would probably be pushing it so it may be with the afternoon package or possibly later tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if the afternoon package isn't delayed due to NWS collaboration with other offices and a review of the 18z models.

Thanks for posting this Jon! That is encouraging for sure!

No problem. I see Allan has posted the snowfall mean, definitely went up which I thought it would. Good trends for Wake Co and central NC as a whole.

Don't lose hope, the Euro ensembles last night gave you some snow.....

thanks - although sometimes in ga its hard to keep the hope alive since we get screwed so  many different ways lol.  fortunately i like all winter wx so anything frozen is great, snow is a bonus

yeah he might just get lucky... the 12z canadian has such a dynamical system it goes over to snow for the northeast corner by 12z friday. some impressive wedging on the east side of the mountains for sure.

thats a close call to be sure.  i remember a couple of times maps like that, only to have it miss mby by 15-20 miles :axe:  although i am certainly liking how things are looking now, at least

Supplemental soundings starting today at 18Z/06Z.

Central Region:

Entire Region starting 18 UTC 20 Jan - 06Z 22 Jan.

Southern Region:

From Texas eastward starting 18 UTC 21 Jan - 18 UTC 22 Jan.

Eastern Region:

RNK, GSO, MHX, IAD, PIT, OKX, ALB, CHH

Starting 18z 21 Jan - 06z Jan 23.

From a met on the mid Atlantic forum. This is getting exciting when they do special launches.

Lets try our best not to bash the NWS discussions/advisories/warnings/other products around 3-4PM today.  It's easier to play conservative and add to the text than to over-hype it.

And to the new guys, you can post over in banter if you have questions for your area located here.  The Euro model will be coming out soon.  I personally think it has to stay where it was or slightly North.  We are in that window of the "North trend".  Transfer off the CHS-Myrtle Beach area seems likely.

Archived