joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The quicker that primary dies out, the faster the precip will rotate into our area and form the comma head on the coastal low.  That's our big snow maker.

It's initial snow, then a mix, then back to snow.  Step 3 is still hard to pinpoint until we know exactly when and where the secondary bombs out and the primary dies out.

This is setting up so much like 96 its crazy. 

it's interesting to note the 06z 4km nam continues to show sub freezing temps making down the spine of the mountains to near gainesville/dawsonville by 09z to 12z  friday. if you went by dewpoints, even further south and sooner. I'm feeling like at the least there is going to be a narrow area of major icing from dawson, hall, lumpkin, white, hambersham, rabun counties...especially so for areas around the 1500 to 2000 foot level..which is usually the sweet spot of coldest temps. Makes me wonder what a euro solution would spell for these areas since the nam is further north.

i haven't been paying a lot of attention to this storm after it appeared n ga was in the screw zone. however, it has my attention now - as cold as it has been if we can get some good ne winds to keep the temps down there could be some decent icing here.  we havent had any big cad events for a while and this one is looking like we may get one.  this looks like the type of storm that is great for the classic ne ga cad areas

This run is a pretty big ice storm for prime cad areas from dawsonville/gainesville to clayton...especially any areas at or above 1500 feet. In fact, i fear it's a crippling one as it brings 2 or 3 inch liquid. Check out 925mb temps..sub freezing mostly during the entire storm over the northeast corner. Pretty bad stuff in those areas. Of course the million dollar question is does it continue to expand south from here. I don't think this is anything but rain for atlanta and athens but from dawson county/hall county northeast are certainly starting to be at risk.

Dude, you and I both know how it never fails, when the CAD is modeled like it currently is, the models never handle the low level temps.  This has trouble written all over it if the trend continues.  I will go out on a limb and say that Athens, Winder, Dacula, Lawrenceville would all be in on the act.  Also, any more movement south and I would almost guarantee it.  Verbatim, no, but the CAD always out performs the modeling of that signature. 

Interesting to look at meteograms for CLT and Shelby for the 12z NAM vs. 6z -- actually warmed up at the surface (although it didn't look like it on the maps). I assume this is because of the NAM's more substantial WAA on the 12z run??? CLT is actually above freezing at 2m for the first HALF of the precip. Similar case in Shelby. Obviously the good news is the backside thump of snow.

This run is a pretty big ice storm for prime cad areas from dawsonville/gainesville to clayton...especially any areas at or above 1500 feet. In fact, i fear it's a crippling one as it brings 2 or 3 inch liquid. Check out 925mb temps..sub freezing mostly during the entire storm over the northeast corner. Pretty bad stuff in those areas. Of course the million dollar question is does it continue to expand south from here. I don't think this is anything but rain for atlanta and athens but from dawson county/hall county northeast are certainly starting to be at risk.

I agree Lookout... Im not sure that the cad sig will not shift a little to the southeast to catch more the anderson/hartwell/ to gainesville. This reasoning is all based off history here. 

Interesting to look at meteograms for CLT and Shelby for the 12z NAM vs. 6z -- actually warmed up at the surface (although it didn't look like it on the maps). I assume this is because of the NAM's more substantial WAA on the 12z run??? CLT is actually above freezing at 2m for the first HALF of the precip. Similar case in Shelby. Obviously the good news is the backside thump of snow.

I dont buy that skip, especially if we start off as snow and bottom out around 28 or 29 and this not being an in-situ CAD. Maybe further east but not in the immediate metro from Charlotte to Shelby. 

Verbatim it looked like RDU warmed well above freezing late Friday as some of the heaviest returns are overhead. But otherwise that was a good run for winter weather lovers in the RDU area. I hope the defr band holds.

These are tricky setups. I bet if this particular run verified the CAD temps would hold stronger and we would stay below freezing for the entire event. I'm going off past storm experiences and the point that the 850 zero line is never far from our location. On the flip side, we do need to keep an eye on where the low transfers. If it does run inland then I would say a change to rain is probable. Stays off the coast and we stay below freezing.

Oh man, that hurts for CLT and GSP...

That has me JUST outside of this ice storm, but I have to believe that if GSP gets that much, I will see at least half of that here too if not more. IF this verifies and comes south 20-25 miles Duke Power would probably set an all time record for the number of people without power. As big as some of our ice storms have been on the I-85 corridor, I can't remember one with quite this much ice in the CLT and GSP metros. 2002 had more in spots, but not in the immediate metro areas.

Ture. However, soundings show the 850 continue to cool more so during the middle of the system. Sightly but cooler nonetheless. 

I wouldn't think so either, but a little disconcerting that the usually CAD-savvy NAM is cutting it so close.

Man, really rooting for y'all down here -- love that you are in a "friendlier" spot for winter weather.

I dont buy that skip, especially if we start off as snow and bottom out around 28 or 29 and this not being an in-situ CAD. Maybe further east but not in the immediate metro from Charlotte to Shelby. 

Archived