joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EURO readout for HKY is so insane it's funny... Never seen anything like that. If this hold through tomorrow evening will def' be taking off friday and chasing. No way I can miss something like this. I am still very worried about sleet and freezing rain isues though, given the type of system this is. The SLP is too far north initially and too close to the coast for mixing not to occur. Will be fun to track though.

Your saying dry air skips the upstate?

In more genuine Miller-B type systems, the moisture transfer often happens between the eastern slopes of the Apps and the midlands. I can't tell you how many times the upstate has been "leap-frogged" by the moisture when this occurs.

Its not a true miller B on the Euro or a true miller A for that matter...it has an energy transfer but not typical of a miller B

Which makes this system more of a riddle. A true Miller-A should entail a low starting it's NE track from within the GOM, tracking ideally over the panhandle and GA/SC coasts, yeah? 

As of right now, it's still modeled too far north to be an actual Miller-A, and oddly too far south to be a true Miller-B. I'm questioning the effect of the transfer as it relates to Upstate SC to be perfectly honest. It's only my opinion, but I believe rn/zr is still the best precip call south of the NC line (with maybe the northern parts of GV/PK/OC Counties being an exception), primarily because [A] I don't trust moisture transfer situations and  I don't see it going far enough south to give a solid +/- error buffer for this area - not yet at least. And never discount the NW trend as a possibility. It's a thing for a reason.

I'm just trying to understand this as it evolves. I'm not a met, just seasoned in Upstate snowstorm experiences  :)

Is that the reason for less precipitation for the western part of NC on the gfs?

I would not worry about precip totals on any model just yet, it will be tomorrow night before we have a better handle on amounts IMO. Just watch the trends of the track and temp trnds, the moisture will take care of itself

Funny how people put their own spin on the model output, in the MA they say the GFS stayed pretty much the same while here some say it went South headed towards the EURO. As was mentioned above, whichever models handles the upper low will have the closest solution as to where it transfers to

Not really seeing any big steps toward the Euro here.  What am I missing?

12Z GFS @ 78:

post-987-0-60701700-1453241192_thumb.gif

18z GFS @ 72:

post-987-0-87616500-1453241212_thumb.gif

12z GFS @ 84:

post-987-0-39213200-1453241241_thumb.gif

18z GFS @ 78:

post-987-0-16933000-1453241259_thumb.gif

The other time frames looked similar too.  Toggling between images, there are very subtle differences.  I suppose the 18z is the slightest tick south, but it looks like noise to me...unless I'm missing something.

keep reading that all models are trending south, if this is the case why isn't there more of a snow talk instead of some rain especially for NC?  I do read where some experts say wnc will start as snow and stay snow the whole event but then the weather on TV says something different as well as GSP.

Not really seeing any big steps toward the Euro here.  What am I missing?

12Z GFS @ 78:

attachicon.gif12z78.gif

18z GFS @ 72:

attachicon.gif18z72.gif

12z GFS @ 84:

18z GFS @ 78:

The other time frames looked similar too.  Toggling between images, there are very subtle differences.  I suppose the 18z is the slightest tick south, but it looks like noise to me...unless I'm missing something.

Open both images into tabs and tab between the two. look at the placement of the ULL center, you should find your answer. Yes, not a big difference, but 18z is south of 12z.

keep reading that all models are trending south, if this is the case why isn't there more of a snow talk instead of some rain especially for NC?  I do read where some experts say wnc will start as snow and stay snow the whole event but then the weather on TV says something different as well as GSP.

Uncertainty combined with being conservative to save face in case of a bust. Nearly all TV news weather does this. If and when a large-scale winter event becomes more likely, they'll start saying differently.

18z GFS snowfall:

gfs_asnow_neus_19.png

Open both images into tabs and tab between the two. look at the placement of the ULL center, you should find your answer. Yes, not a big difference, but 18z is south of 12z.

I did that.  Best I could tell is that the very center at 12z tracked just north of the NC/VA border before lifting NE.  At 18z, it tracked right along it.  It was a big circle, so eyeballing the exact center is error prone.  It looked south, but not by much....just making sure we're all on the same page and I wasn't missing some big jump or anything.

Archived