Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that a 986 low off the Va coast? That looks good. good to see it more south as well.

Monster!! I haven't been this excited for a storm since living in Ct. It's gonna be one hell of a wind gradient to go along with it too as she cranks up. I'm excited for qpf totals.

Biblical event.  We even get some wraparound snow to top it off.  Wow.  So much QPF... it's insane.  Close to 2" QPF for a lot of areas and all-frozen.

I refuse to believe the QPF since last winter. Cut that baby in half and you still got an awesome storm. I know people will probably laugh at me but I wanna see the GFS get on board.

I refuse to believe the QPF since last winter. Cut that baby in half and you still got an awesome storm. I know people will probably laugh at me but I wanna see the GFS get on board.

Haha, yeah, though the other modeling is onboard with this crazy QPF, so you never know.

Anyways, I will take my 10" snow and other assorted frozens (1.9" QPF) and run.  Roanoke gets 30".  Charlottesville is about the same.

Got better digging and a stronger high with this run of the Euro which we needed. If The GFS can get rid of that double barrel low look then it's on IMO. Definitely chasing this one back home 30 minutes north of me if CLT is on the outside looking in.

If the Euro is right I think CLT would score...of course obviously further north the better. Models usually never get CAD right and are warmer than reality. Even if you mix some we would still net out at 4-8 I would think. 

THat upper low is pretty amazing. Love this setup for NC. The only issue will be mixing with this SLP track. But still would be an awesome storm ssytem.

With that track there would definitely be some mixing issues but it sure would be fun. For RDU we'd want it to be a tad further east but not complaining.

James, do your thing man. Give us some qpf output from the Euro.

All-frozen (though not necessarily all-snow):

Reagan (DC) - 2.1"

Dulles (DC) - 2.6"

Roanoke - 2.7"

Charlottesville - 3.1"

Richmond - 2.6"

Greensboro - 1.9"

Mt. Airy - 1.9"

Boone - 1.8"

Mixed bag:

Charlotte - 1.3" (that's more for the airport which is west of town... the city gets more like 1.8")

Raleigh - 2.4"

Verbatim, RDU and CLT changeover to rain at some point, but if the CAD is underdone (as it likely may be), then that wouldn't likely happen.

Something of note.... the "new" euro showed very close to this at 00z last night...hmmmm all hail "NEW' EURO? lol  

Even though snow doesn't get much furher south on the 12z than it did on the 00z EURO notice how far the CORE of the snow storm moved south west... The bullseye is now central VA with 2 feet of snow touching NC border....

We need (Central-Western NC) the hp to build just a little stronger maybe 4-6 more mb to LOCK in the CAD and It wouldn't hurt to get the low a tiny tiny bit east.  Now this is just to put us in the bullseye and I HARDCORE live by the "don't be in the bullseye more than 2 days out" BUT my interest with this storm just skyrocketed

NC is VERY close to a MASSIVE snow for Wilson west

All-frozen (though not necessarily all-snow):

Reagan (DC) - 2.1"

Dulles (DC) - 2.6"

Roanoke - 2.7"

Charlottesville - 3.1"

Richmond - 2.6"

Greensboro - 1.9"

Mt. Airy - 1.9"

Boone - 1.8"

Mixed bag:

Charlotte - 1.3" (that's more for the airport which is west of town... the city gets more like 1.8")

Raleigh - 2.4"

Verbatim, RDU and CLT changeover to rain at some point, but if the CAD is underdone (as it likely may be), then that wouldn't likely happen.

Do you have qpf outputs for HKY and Morganton?

Archived