• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1-20-16 Winter Storm

1234snow

It looks fairly certain there will be widespread school closings tomorrow.  I know the teachers at my kids' school were buzzing with excitement this morning.  I hope Knox county doesn't screw up like they did back in 2014 and not call off school, then have numerous wrecks as parents scramble to pick kids up mid morning.  At the very least roads around schools should be heavily salted.  They didn't even salt in the 2014 incident.  Apparently the superintendent based his decision to stay open off a Matt Hinkin forecast from the night before.  That is always a bad move.

Many lessons learned from Jan 2014....from Knox all the way to Atlanta.....They may as well use them now....

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks fairly certain there will be widespread school closings tomorrow. I know the teachers at my kids' school were buzzing with excitement this morning. I hope Knox county doesn't screw up like they did back in 2014 and not call off school, then have numerous wrecks as parents scramble to pick kids up mid morning. At the very least roads around schools should be heavily salted. They didn't even salt in the 2014 incident. Apparently the superintendent based his decision to stay open off a Matt Hinkin forecast from the night before. That is always a bad move.

Matt is the guy that misses the most with winter weather compared to the other local meteorologists.

12z RGEM snow:

Wa6nmey.gif

Freezing Rain:

zP5F1iM.gif

Mercy.  That looks really good for our folks in middle and west TN.  Definitely hope they get a great snow.  Hey, for you all that live out there, be sure to post some observations.  We get to live vicariously w/ you and it helps w/ downstream predictions. 

edit:  Interesting to see that make it to the lee of the Apps.  Pretty strong.

It looks fairly certain there will be widespread school closings tomorrow.  I know the teachers at my kids' school were buzzing with excitement this morning.  I hope Knox county doesn't screw up like they did back in 2014 and not call off school, then have numerous wrecks as parents scramble to pick kids up mid morning.  At the very least roads around schools should be heavily salted.  They didn't even salt in the 2014 incident.  Apparently the superintendent based his decision to stay open off a Matt Hinkin forecast from the night before.  That is always a bad move.

Nashville north is looking good, we shall see, honestly, everyone in TN should get something from this one imo

I noticed a TDOT truck just drive by my workplace--putting the brine on the roads.

Text off the GFS says the warm nose don't arrive forBNA until 18z,should be all snow.But warm noses are  notorious to be underdone in our parts.Remember when we was in  a WSW last year,the models failed with it,instead of snow we just got rn and ip

Yeah warm nose has ruined many a party.  However Nash will do well with an earlier start to precip probably 4am ish....  Dry air as well for some evaporative cooling.  I don't think that if warm nose occurs that it will happen while precip is heaviest, it'll be when the precip is moving out.  Same for most of east TN though I would draw that line further south than I-40.  I would put that line about 30 miles south of I-40 in east TN.  Athens to Dayton to Pikeville line and north I would be comfortable saying predominately snow with only minor end of precip change over when forcing is weakening, but not enough to inhibit snow totals.

Yeah warm nose has ruined many a party.  However Nash will do well with an earlier start to precip probably 4am ish....  Dry air as well for some evaporative cooling.  I don't think that if warm nose occurs that it will happen while precip is heaviest, it'll be when the precip is moving out.  Same for most of east TN though I would draw that line further south than I-40.  I would put that line about 30 miles south of I-40 in east TN.  Athens to Dayton to Pikeville line and north I would be comfortable saying predominately snow with only minor end of precip change over when forcing is weakening, but not enough to inhibit snow totals.

Definite agree.Lower elevations it's better to  see this fall early than later in the day when you have not much wiggle room with layer temps

Definite agree.Lower elevations it's better to  see this fall early than later in the day when you have not much wiggle room with layer temps

Keep in mind the number of hours your ground has been below freezing.  It's going to be instant problems, regardless of what falls from the skies, though my guess is a pretty good snow thump.  Good luck!

12z GGEM snow:

42tERlr.gif

Of all these clown maps I think this one is closest to what I think will be.  Only thing I would do with that map to change it is remove the brightest shade of blue.  Otherwise I think its pretty spot on.  I think max snow fall with this will be under 6" but some totals in northern middle TN and southern middle KY I could see hitting 5 or even just over locally.  The rest of the clown colors with GGEM I buy.

PER MRX:

FOR THE REST OF THE AREA...ENOUGH COLD AIR IS PRESENT FOR SNOW
SHOWERS TO BEGIN IN THE MORNING...LASTING THROUGH MOST OF THE DAY.
AREAS IN CENTRAL VALLEY AND PLATEAU COULD SEE SLEET THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON HOURS AS TEMPERATURES LEVEL AT THE FREEZING MARK...BUT
SNOWFALL IS THE MAIN ACCUMULATION TYPE. UP TO THREE INCHES
POSSIBLE IN NORTHERN PLATEAU...NORTHEASTERN TN...SW VA...AND HIGHER
ELEVATIONS IN EAST TN. THE VALLEY COULD SEE UP TO 2 INCHES...WITH
SOUTHERN VALLEY AND PLATEAU ACCUMULATING A LITTLE OVER ONE INCH.
WILL KEEP THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY GOING THROUGH AT LEAST 6Z
TOMORROW NIGHT AND WILL LET EVENING/MORNING SHIFT DECIDE ON ANY
CONTINUATION.

I believe the criteria for a Winter Storm Warning in East Tennessee is:

1. At least 4 inches in a 12 hour period.

And/Or

2. Ice accretions at least .25 of an inch.

Correct, plus the following added to the list:

6" of Snow or greater within a 24 hour period.

and/or

0.5"+ of Sleet

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/?n=watchwarnadv

Archived