joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as far as the 00z euro.   The eps was right in line with the OP.   The Para was north of the OP, and the Para EPS was WAY north as in Chicago to central MI hit.

so quite a bit of stuff to be sorted out yet.

How were the individual members?

What the GFS is doing looks very plausible. The only thing I'll hang my hat on is the old "you don't want to be bullseyed 5 days out" adage.

There's room for the EC ridge to amplify given the lack of major blocking if the downstream PV moves out faster. The wave spacing sucks on the 12z GFS.

you're like a snow magnet for Athens lol.

:lol:

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_6.png

If I may be a weenie here for a minute, I see a couple of rubs on a big north trend...

The ridge is pretty far east over the west and not very stout...if the ridge trends stronger or backs back west there could be a phase far enough west for a big north trend, but right now it doesn't look great for that. The ensembles keep the shortwave neutrally tilted until it's east of the Mississippi which is a red flag for a big turn north west of the Apps. That look above also has some upper level confluence over the Mid-Atlantic ahead of the storm Thursday evening which also argues against the storm getting really amplified and trending farther north.

If the ridge over the west trends west or more stout locations farther north/west may be in luck...but right now my thinking is if this doesn't work out it's because there isn't a phase and we just get a STJ wave that slides off to the south. That vortex south of Greenland providing for the confluence back into the Mid Atlantic is what's left of our PV from earlier in the week. There will be a -NAO ahead of it and that vortex is pretty strong and closed off, so right now I have my doubts it gets out of the way and allows for a more north track. But we'll have to watch the ridge out west and see if it backs west farther and allows for an earlier phase which would open the door for a farther north track regardless...that's probably the best hope for those that want a track much farther north than currently shown.

eps is south of OP which isn't exactly unexpected.    Last year there was a storm that showed the axis of heaviest snow going right thru central OH for several runs on all the modeling.  Than inside of 3 or 4 days it began creeping north and yet the euro ens kept showing solutions further southeast.    That storm ended up clocking Alek and Josh.

:lol:

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_6.png

If I may be a weenie here for a minute, I see a couple of rubs on a big north trend...

The ridge is pretty far east over the west and not very stout...if the ridge trends stronger or backs back west there could be a phase far enough west for a big north trend, but right now it doesn't look great for that. The ensembles keep the shortwave neutrally tilted until it's east of the Mississippi which is a red flag for a big turn north west of the Apps. That look above also has some upper level confluence over the Mid-Atlantic ahead of the storm Thursday evening which also argues against the storm getting really amplified and trending farther north.

If the ridge over the west trends west or more stout locations farther north/west may be in luck...but right now my thinking is if this doesn't work out it's because there isn't a phase and we just get a STJ wave that slides off to the south. That vortex south of Greenland providing for the confluence back into the Mid Atlantic is what's left of our PV from earlier in the week. There will be a -NAO ahead of it and that vortex is pretty strong and closed off, so right now I have my doubts it gets out of the way and allows for a more north track. But we'll have to watch the ridge out west and see if it backs west farther and allows for an earlier phase which would open the door for a farther north track regardless...that's probably the best hope for those that want a track much farther north than currently shown.

Great analysis. Thanks.

eps is south of OP which isn't exactly unexpected. Last year there was a storm that showed the axis of heaviest snow going right thru central OH for several runs on all the modeling. Than inside of 3 or 4 days it began creeping north and yet the euro ens kept showing solutions further southeast. That storm ended up clocking Alek and Josh.

Surprised you didn't reference PDII. Snow swath on the 12z Euro looks a bit like it. :guitar:

Archived