joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

This is pretty sick...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM FRIDAY TO 6 AM EST
SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM FRIDAY
TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY. THE BLIZZARD WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND WIND WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. SLEET MAY MIX WITH
THE SNOW FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING EAST OF INTERSTATE
95 BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW BY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES IN THE
EASTERN SUBURBS OF WASHINGTON DC...AND 24 TO 30 INCHES IN THE
WESTERN SUBURBS. THE CITY OF WASHINGTON DC IS EXPECTED TO
RECEIVE AROUND 24 INCHES.

* TIMING...HEAVY SNOW WILL DEVELOP LATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND
CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO
DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW...STRONGEST
WINDS...AND POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS EXPECTED
FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS
CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. TRAVEL
IS EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE DURING
THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. VISIBILITY
WILL BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50
MPH...BECOMING NORTH SATURDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...MID TO UPPER 20S.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be even funnier when most of it melts over the following few days.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.  

suppose to have a high of 46 on Tuesday.   Hell most of our March 08 big dog lasted almost 2 weeks as arctic air set in afterwards.

not that I'm bitter or anything....either    :devilsmiley:

HRRR seems to be coming in even further North then the other models. It has been the most accurate the last couple systems so that has me pretty excited.

Though RUC has been going pretty far north too, but I've heard that's a bad model. What would help OH more than a northward shift though is a Delayed transfer

Though RUC has been going pretty far north too, but I've heard that's a bad model. What would help OH more than a northward shift though is a Delayed transfer

HRRR will be interesting with the transfer when it can read that far. This run looks to me like it jumps North very quick. It's not quite as far East when it gets to the MS/AL/TN border compared to most of the models. Gonna be interesting. 

HRRR will be interesting with the transfer when it can read that far. This run looks to me like it jumps North very quick. It's not quite as far East when it gets to the MS/AL/TN border compared to most of the models. Gonna be interesting. 

which site do you use for the HRRR?

I use this

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi

The pinnacle of every weenie dream.   They've hit the jackpot.   Only thing sicker would be if arctic air followed this instead of a warm up.

I have a good friend from Mexico working at the Mexican embassy in DC.  He started the job in November, and has never seen snow like this. Hell, *I* haven't seen snow like that. 

You guys are really grasping at straws here.  If anything like this scenario occurred, it would be an epic bust for I-70, and that just is like a once in a lifetime type of bust, and we had ours in 1996.

You guys are really grasping at straws here.  If anything like this scenario occurred, it would be an epic bust for I-70, and that just is like a once in a lifetime type of bust, and we had ours in 1996.

Yeah, maybe. The HRRR has just been the most accurate for all of our systems here this year. I think it is probably much too far north but we will see.

stopp'n in to stoke the weenie fires with some gasoline :devilsmiley:

ruc

I still felt comfortable leaning Euro this afternoon and went 2-4" for Athens and a little more in southern portions of the county but it would take such a small bump north that some models still show to give us considerably more so I'm a little more nervous than I'd like to be.

When I see things like this, it makes me wonder why some of these models are permitted to remain in existence.

That's a composite reflectivity map. None of that "precipitation" will make it to the surface. Nothing wrong with the RUC/RAP model at all...only the interpretation.

Archived