Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:weenie:  :weenie: :weenie: ***** warning***** :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  

Maybe a met can chime in. But how unusual is it to see a plume spread like this, this close from an event?   The mean is 6+, the top is 20". 

Yeah, a spread that big is just weird. Hopefully a met does chime in so we can get an understanding.

True. True. You busted my trolling.

Oh wait... Jan 1994?

Jan 6 where dtw had 10.3. Some downriver areas had over a foot. I can actually remember that storm (I was 10).

This is actually a perfect example of how many big storms will have jackpots in this region but doesn't mean the whole storm is a monster. I'm sure some of the Columbus area has cracked a foot since 2008, just not CMH.

It's the rare storm that pounds the entire region with widespread foot plus.

Jan 6 where dtw had 10.3. Some downriver areas had over a foot. I can actually remember that storm (I was 10).

This is actually a perfect example of how many big storms will have jackpots in this region but doesn't mean the whole storm is a monster. I'm sure some of the Columbus area has cracked a foot since 2008, just not CMH.

That was the famous

Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan snowstorm

:weenie:  :weenie: :weenie: ***** warning***** :weenie:  :weenie:  :weenie:  

Maybe a met can chime in. But how unusual is it to see a plume spread like this, this close from an event?   The mean is 6+, the top is 20". 

The spread for PKB is unbelievable too, a mean of 15"...with 14 members above that mean and 12 members below it! But, all but two of the members above 10" are ARW cores, and they tend to be the most overamped. 4 members at or below 2.5" for PKB. I don't ever recall a spread like this so close to an event.

It's the rare storm that pounds the entire region with widespread foot plus.

You may be right, but the only storm(s) that would come close to giving someone in Central Ohio 12"+ were February 2010. Three storms in a 10 day span, each were 6-8" in the immediate metro area, some further out might have topped 12". NWS Wilmington had a nice page with maps, totals, etc.  but with the new servers/upgrades, it seems to be lost.

The spread for PKB is unbelievable too, a mean of 15"...with 14 members above that mean and 12 members below it! But, all but two of the members above 10" are ARW cores, and they tend to be the most overamped. 4 members at or below 2.5" for PKB. I don't ever recall a spread like this so close to an event.

Hmm. Looks like Parkersburg SREF has max 34", mean 14.8"

:weenie::weenie: :weenie: ***** warning***** :weenie::weenie::weenie:

Maybe a met can chime in. But how unusual is it to see a plume spread like this, this close from an event? The mean is 6+, the top is 20".

I don't really use the SREF that often, but I can't imagine that is normal. With that being said, I don't think this one is going to work out for us lol

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That is just unreal! When is the last 12+ here in central ohio?

I believe both February 5-6 and 15-16 in 2010 had locations with 12"+ totals.  I also think February 2014 might have had a few places hit that.  Port Columbus has not had one since March 2008.  Before that, it was February 2003, and before that... April 1987.  So they are not that common in Columbus. 

Nothing, and I mean nothing will ever top Big Dog.  It was extra special for p*ssing off DT. 

That was one for the ages! :lmao: The pic and the response from DT. lol

Perhaps later on ill try and see if i can get the old computer fired up. I believe that pic is on there.. No promises.

I thought February 5-6th 2010 dumped a foot or more on a large portion of Ohio but it's possible Columbus came in with just under a foot or something.

Officially 9.9" on the 5th-6th at Port Columbus, and then 10.4" on the 15th and 16th.  Its largest event since 2008 has been 10.6" on February 4th-5th, 2014.  These totals are actually far above normal climo in terms of an average winter's largest event, and Columbus has seen more snowstorms with double digits since 2000 than any other similar period on record.  12"+ events, however, are nearly non-existent.  It's a really bad location for those.

I believe both February 5-6 and 15-16 in 2010 had locations with 12"+ totals.  I also think February 2014 might have had a few places hit that.  Port Columbus has not had one since March 2008.  Before that, it was February 2003, and before that... April 1987.  So they are not that common in Columbus. 

the dirty little secret about Feb 2003, (PDII), was that it wasn't a 24 hour total, so it really technically shouldn't be considered a single storm (although it's recorded as such).  

Here in Westerville we ended up with about 15" but it came in two pieces.  The first was Friday night into Saturday morning.  Then we had about an 18 hour virga storm, followed by the second piece Sunday evening/night.    The Sunday storm was the one that was suppose to miss south.   It started to move north on the 18z models Saturday, (24 hours out), and continued the trend. 

Both pieces gave around 7 or 8".

That was one for the ages! :lmao: The pic and the response from DT. lol

Perhaps later on ill try and see if i can get the old computer fired up. I believe that pic is on there.. No promises.

The thing about that was I wasn't mocking DT, he took it totally the wrong way.   It inspired the very first blog he wrote on EUSWX,  it was entitled, "Why I hate F*ckeye*.    I wish I would have saved that gem.

The thing about that was I wasn't mocking DT, he took it totally the wrong way.   It inspired the very first blog he wrote on EUSWX,  it was entitled, "Why I hate F*ckeye*.    I wish I would have saved that gem.

What winter was that, anyway?  02-03?  It may have been even earlier than that.

That is hilarious! I think I vaguely remember that. I was on the east coast at the time. 

the dirty little secret about Feb 2003, (PDII), was that it wasn't a 24 hour total, so it really technically shouldn't be considered a single storm (although it's recorded as such).  

Here in Westerville we ended up with about 15" but it came in two pieces.  The first was Friday night into Saturday morning.  Then we had about an 18 hour virga storm, followed by the second piece Sunday evening/night.    The Sunday storm was the one that was suppose to miss south.   It started to move north on the 18z models Saturday, (24 hours out), and continued the trend. 

Both pieces gave around 7 or 8".

I don't remember a long period of virga during that storm, but I was further south than you.  I guess the closest analog to that storm would actually be March 1913.  That flooding rain was not technically a single storm, but the rain shields overlapped and it is considered to be a single event in the same way that 2003 is. 

For the record, there are only 4 instances in which 12"+ fell in a single 24 hour period in Columbus.  They are March 8th, 2008, April 4th, 1987 and then there were 2 in the winter of 1909-1910, but the 24-hour period occurred over two days rather than a single one.  Those dates are January 6th-7th, 1910 with 12.7" and February 16th-17th, 1910 with 15".

For the record, there are only 4 instances in which 12"+ fell in a single 24 hour period in Columbus.  They are March 8th, 2008, April 4th, 1987 and then there were 2 in the winter of 1909-1910, but the 24-hour period occurred over two days rather than a single one.  Those dates are January 6th-7th, 1910 with 12.7" and February 16th-17th, 1910 with 15".

Interesting. I would have thought the occurrences would have been more than 4. Heck, parts of Kentucky are getting their 3rd in the prior 12 months. I guess the criteria for a big storm should be 8-10".

Archived