• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

In my head for a few days now, this storm reminded me of the Feb 5th, 2010 storm. There's probably too much to overcome to get as close to that storm as we can, but Weatherbell thinks the same thing...http://www.weatherbell.com/feb-2010-storm

With that storm, models did fairly well with a 6-8" forecast for CMH. But for my parents up in Youngstown, models did horribly. Initially they were under a WWA for 3-6" of snow 24 hours out. But as close as 12 hours prior, models bumped up the totals to 6-8" with lollipop 10" snows. They were upgraded to a Warning as the snow was starting. As the storm kept moving, short range models bumped them up to 12-14". When it was all over, they actually received 16" of snow, when only 24 hours prior, they were forecasted for 3-6". I actually drove up the next day, bad choice in hindsight as the roads were still awful, and visually confirmed it. Quite the positive trend.

Not saying we'll get a repeat, and the Euro definitely threw a huge wrench into the mix, but if this Euro run is just a hiccup, it might play out interestingly.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ensembles will be interesting for you guys, still a couple more model cycles before i'd throw in the towel

I've seen the euro do wacky things around the 72 hour mark before, (mostly with coastal situations), but I would say this is a huge red flag and although it may adjust further north in the next model runs,  I'd say an 80% shot it's over for Central OH, other than cirrus.

I think OHweather still has a good shot of accum though.

All that said, I won't unplug the coffee maker and switch off the lights in here just yet.

I've seen the euro do wacky things around the 72 hour mark before, (mostly with coastal situations), but I would say this is a huge red flag and although it may adjust further north in the next model runs,  I'd say an 80% shot it's over for Central OH, other than cirrus.

All that said, I won't unplug the coffee maker and switch off the lights in here just yet.

"It's over Johnny."

If we are fortunate enough to have something to track again within 5 days of the models, let me start the storm thread this time! LOL 

Agreed. If we see snow, it'll be an inch or 2. Doubtful the 5-6" amounts on the GFS/GGEM will verify.

60 hrs from the start of the event.....these wobbling fluctuations are all part of the "game". Plenty of time, plenty of time. Keep in mind, we are still not within the window of when you want to be in the bulls eye. The folks in C'bus are concerned they are too far north and us Cincy folks are concerned we're too far west.

Given the boring nature of this winter; I'll take something to track over nothing at all.

Plenty of time. Enjoy it.

60 hrs from the start of the event.....these wobbling fluctuations are all part of the "game". Plenty of time, plenty of time. Keep in mind, we are still not within the window of when you want to be in the bulls eye. The folks in C'bus are concerned they are too far north and us Cincy folks are concerned we're too far west.

Given the boring nature of this winter; I'll take something to track over nothing at all.

Plenty of time. Enjoy it.

I'd rather have nothing to track, honestly.  Big teases in a mediocre to terrible winter are the worst. 

I'd rather have nothing to track, honestly.  Big teases in a mediocre to terrible winter are the worst. 

agree, this tracking is like crack to me.   I hate these tease storms that put you on the edge for days and waffle you in and out of the game.  I hope all the models either trend this out of our range or dramatically shift north in the next couple runs.  

Really feel for the weenies in southern PA / MD....   that would suck beyond belief it this crashes like the euro shows.

agree, this tracking is like crack to me.   I hate these tease storms that put you on the edge for days and waffle you in and out of the game.  I hope all the models either trend this out of our range or dramatically shift north in the next couple runs.  

Really feel for the weenies in southern PA / MD....   that would suck beyond belief it this crashes like the euro shows.

Yep, I was posting on the Philadelphia part of the forum last night because someone said that Philly was "at least" guaranteed 2 feet, maybe more.  What I know of Philadelphia is you're not guaranteed a damn thing.  I'll never forget the March 2001 storm there where we were "guaranteed" 2 feet of snow.  We didn't get 2 flakes.  THAT was utter heartbreak.  

Totally understand the nail biting frustration being expressed. I suppose I have become somewhat apathetic given the dozens of systems over the years that look great only to fish hook to the NW. The worst is when I am stuck in a cold rain @ 34 degrees in the SE side of Cincy and the folks on the NW side of town are getting pounded with snow.

Regardess, I have faith that this won't be a total miss...how much is yet to be determined.

Yep, I was posting on the Philadelphia part of the forum last night because someone said that Philly was "at least" guaranteed 2 feet, maybe more.  What I know of Philadelphia is you're not guaranteed a damn thing.  I'll never forget the March 2001 storm there where we were "guaranteed" 2 feet of snow.  We didn't get 2 flakes.  THAT was utter heartbreak.  

The bust that drove Bolaris out of town. The news station he worked for starting running a tag line on TV shows at the bottom of the screen like 3 days out talking about an apocalyptic snow storm that was coming. That was unreal!  

Here's some comfort food for the southern OH crowd.   When you actually compare the 12z - left,   with the 00z-right,  the south shift is not as crazy as it originally seems.   That's why I think Cincy to Athens posters are still in decent shape for a correction north of the 12z euro.  

The southern shift hype is mostly centered around where the redevelopment on the coast occurs.  What happens to the Ohio valley depends on how much latitude the precip can reach once the storm pulls out of the lower plains.

post-622-0-46231900-1453234320_thumb.jpg

Here's some comfort food for the southern OH crowd.   When you actually compare the 12z - left,   with the 00z-right,  the south shift is not as crazy as it originally seems.   That's why I think Cincy to Athens posters are still in decent shape for a correction north of the 12z euro.  

The southern shift hype is mostly centered around where the redevelopment on the coast occurs.  What happens to the Ohio valley depends on how much latitude the precip can reach once the storm pulls out of the lower plains.

You would think it should get a long ways north with that borderline steroidal STJ in this El Nino winter.  But....

West shore Lake Michigan folks, how are we feeling about the LE? Models still hung on a band developing.

LOT with delta T concerns

GUIDANCE HAS A SFC

RIDGE OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST AND A LOW LIFTING NORTHEAST THROUGH THE

TENN VALLEY. THE BY-PRODUCT OF THIS WILL BE A STRENGTHENING

NORTHEAST GRADIENT OVER LAKE MICHIGAN...WHICH CONTINUES TO POINT

TOWARDS THE POTENTIAL FOR LIGHT LAKE EFFECT SNOW DEVELOPING AND

MOVING INTO THE CHICAGO METRO/NORTHEAST IL AREAS DURING THE DAY FRI.

THE CHALLENGE MAY END UP BEING THAT THE LAKE SFC TO TEMPS ALOFT MAY

NOT BE LARGE ENOUGH TO ALLOW STRONGER LAKE BANDING.

LOT with delta T concerns

GUIDANCE HAS A SFC

RIDGE OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST AND A LOW LIFTING NORTHEAST THROUGH THE

TENN VALLEY. THE BY-PRODUCT OF THIS WILL BE A STRENGTHENING

NORTHEAST GRADIENT OVER LAKE MICHIGAN...WHICH CONTINUES TO POINT

TOWARDS THE POTENTIAL FOR LIGHT LAKE EFFECT SNOW DEVELOPING AND

MOVING INTO THE CHICAGO METRO/NORTHEAST IL AREAS DURING THE DAY FRI.

THE CHALLENGE MAY END UP BEING THAT THE LAKE SFC TO TEMPS ALOFT MAY

NOT BE LARGE ENOUGH TO ALLOW STRONGER LAKE BANDING.

The one time set-up is decent during a very warm first half of winter, the past week has been cold enough to put down some ice on the lake...

ILN

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
416 PM EST TUE JAN 19 2016

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

MAIN FOCUS IN THE LONG TERM FORECAST WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR A
WINTER STORM TO AFFECT THE OHIO VALLEY REGION. THE IMPETUS FOR WHAT
WILL DEVELOP INTO A CLOSED MID LEVEL CIRCULATION EITHER OVER THE TN
VLY OR THE DEEP SOUTH IS STILL OFF THE WEST COAST ATTM...SO CAUTION
MUST BE USED IN THE FORECAST DUE TO THE OSCILLATIONS IN THE POSITION
AND TRACK OF THE MID LEVEL CIRCULATION. MODELS TEND TO HAVE ISSUES
WITH THE CLOSING OFF OF SUCH SYSTEMS...AND GIVEN THAT THE ENERGY IS
STILL OFF THE WEST COAST...THERE WILL BE TIME FOR OSCILLATIONS TO
CONTINUE UNTIL PERHAPS 12Z WEDNESDAY WHEN THE ENERGY WILL BE FULLY
SAMPLED.

THAT BEING SAID...OF THE MAIN OPERATIONAL MODELS FROM THE 01.19.12Z
RUN...THE ECMWF HAS TAKEN A MORE SOUTHERN TRACK ACROSS THE DEEP
SOUTH VERSUS THE OTHER MODELS (NAM...GFS...AND CMC). AS TO NOT JUMP
ON THE PURE 12Z ECMWF SOLUTION...WHICH WOULD BRING A PCPN SHIELD/MID
LEVEL DEFORMATION AXIS ONLY AS FAR NORTH AS THE OHIO RIVER...HAVE
TAKEN A BLEND OF THE 12Z GFS AND THE PREVIOUS 00Z ECMWF WHICH KEEPS
SOME CONTINUITY TO THE GOING FORECAST AND ALLOWS FOR SOME POTENTIAL
FOR A MORE NORTHERN TRACK TO BE A POSSIBLE SOLUTION. THUS...THE
CURRENT FORECAST WILL ALLOW PCPN SHIELD/MID LVL DEFORMATION AXIS
PUSH NORTHWARD TOWARD THE OHIO RIVER THURSDAY NIGHT...ALLOWING IT TO
PIVOT AS FAR NORTH/NORTHWEST AS THE I-71 CORRIDOR...AND THEN ALLOW
IT TO SHIFT EAST FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY AS A COASTAL LOW/ENERGY
TRANSFER TAKES PLACE. BASED ON THIS SCENARIO...PCPN SHOULD REMAIN AS
SNOW WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ALONG AND
SOUTHEAST OF THE I-71 CORRIDOR AND PARTICULARY ALONG AND SOUTH OF
THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY. THUS...AT THIS JUNCTURE...4 OR MORE INCHES OF
SNOW MAY BE POSSIBLE ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE I-71 CORRIDOR WITH 6 OR
MORE INCHES POSSIBLE ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE OHIO RIVER. AGAIN...A
TRACK FARTHER SOUTH WOULD ONLY IMPACT LOCATIONS ALONG AND SOUTH OF
THE OHIO RIVER...AND A TRACK FARTHER NORTH WOULD PUSH THE THREAT
TOWARD THE I-71 CORRIDOR. AS THE COASTAL LOW TAKES SHAPE AND MOVES
NEAR AND OFF THE NEW ENGLAND COAST SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND
NIGHT...PCPN WILL TAPER OFF OVER THE REGION AS SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE
BUILDS BACK INTO THE OHIO VALLEY. AS FOR TEMPERATURES...HAVE TAKEN
BLEND OF PREVIOUS FORECAST AND THE 12Z GFS/00Z ECMWF. SOME
ADJUSTMENTS MAY HAVE TO BE MADE TO CURRENT VALUES DEPENDING ON WHERE
AND THE AMOUNT OF SNOW COVER WHICH MAY FALL...WHICH WILL HAVE AN
ALBEDO EFFECT/RADIATIONAL COOLING EFFECT.

Archived