SnowHabit
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

framing this point and click for my hood:

This Afternoon

Cloudy, with a high near 29. Northeast wind around 9 mph.

Tonight

Snow, mainly after 8pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow after 4am. Low around 23. Blustery, with a northeast wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Saturday

Snow before 11am, then snow, possibly mixed with sleet between 11am and 2pm, then snow after 2pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. High near 30. Windy, with a northeast wind 25 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Saturday Night

Snow, mainly before 5am. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly before 8pm. Low around 20. Blustery, with a north wind 20 to 25 mph decreasing to 13 to 18 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

I would remind the under 30 crowd that the all-time record snowstorm for PHL for the first 100 years of record keeping was 21 inches on December 25-26, 1909. I remember being amazed when that was barely surpassed in 1983. In less than 30 years after this, we surpassed it 3 times, obliterating by more than 8 inches twice in the past 20 years. This storm is FORECAST to surpass the snowfall record that stood for the first 100 years of record keeping and we're not even in the bullseye.

Be grateful that this once in a lifetime storm is occurring (if you're over 30) for the 4th time in your lifetime. Relax, discuss and enjoy...

The 2 low depiction shows up on GFS at 27 hrs.

It's a weird evolution of the low but the precip still looks to move out just about in line with the nam so I don't know that it effects totals too much. 

Any way, I just want to say what an INSANELY awesome time I've had tracking this storm to the now almost start time with you guys. So much consistency from the day 7 to day 4-5. Then the rollercoaster up until maybe mid day yesterday where it has just trended SOO good for out entire area. It doesn't happen often and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it. Tomorrow looks to be so epic. 

Cheers and good luck to all of you!! :snowwindow:

Really solid call if you made this statement on Monday. Impressive!

On my phone and too lazy to find it but it was around the time folks were talking tempering expectations. (Expect 4-8 and if we get more be happy, which is a very fair statement). Once I saw all guidance behind the idea of a monster storm I was pretty much convinced despite the range. I believe I said 1-2ft+ is a fair starting point then narrowed it down as we got closer. Big widespread Miller a's historically have been nailed down many days in advance and this one was really was no different. Save for the folks that were on the fringe that went from 2ft to nada, this storm has region wide historical storm written all over. You did a good job as well pointing out this storm in the long term. Just gotta learn to not fold so easily :P I know people were on edge expecting something to go wrong with the winter we've had thus far but once I saw the H5 maps depicted and had a feeling unless the models were off incredibly, we'd see a huge storm. Great that many of us will be at or above normal for the year now after being in the one inch range so far. Time to sit back and take in the memories of what will be one of the greats of our lifetime.

Archived