SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the EURO looked better early on, just some issues late. Would not be surprised to see it jump N @ 12z tomorrow.

Agree. I posted this in pa.

Ok so the mets can jump in with thoughts on this but the run looked great through 60 hours. The slp actually was tucked in nice tracking over eastern nc right over Elizabeth city. Then at 66 it's tucked in right at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. So far perfect track to at least get the southern 1/2 of pa. Then at 66 a second low forms due east about 100 miles under a convection plume and that pulls the whole thing due east. The euro actually tracks inside the gfs and ggem to that point then slingshots east. What are the chances that's a convective feedback error?

Ok so the mets can jump in with thoughts on this but the run looked great through 60 hours. The slp actually was tucked in nice tracking over eastern nc right over Elizabeth city. Then at 66 it's tucked in right at the mouth of the Chesapeake bay. So far perfect track to at least get the southern 1/2 of pa. Then at 66 a second low forms due east about 100 miles under a convection plume and that pulls the whole thing due east. The euro actually tracks inside the gfs and ggem to that point then slingshots east. What are the chances that's a convective feedback error?

I'm just your average jacka$$ but I doubt it's convective feedback. I think it just runs into a confluent brick wall and it's curtains for NYC north.

I'm just your average jacka$$ but I doubt it's convective feedback. I think it just runs into a confluent brick wall and it's curtains for NYC north.

Yeah not sure about the convective feedback, but also don't think it will wind up like it is being depicted either. Have to wait and see what today's model runs bring.

That's not too bad. We're right near the edge of the big 12"+ totals. Just a minor shift makes a huge difference. I think Thursday will be the day that the models give us a much better idea of what's going to happen. 

we were right near the edge of them in 2010 as well. I know I drove down the turnpike the next morning and could see South Brunswick had much more than Colonia and so on as I went further south. I had about 3 inches...forget this one. Next year.

Blizzard watch for NYC and LI.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY 342 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016 ...NOR`EASTER TO IMPACT THE TRI-STATE AREA THIS WEEKEND... NJZ006-105>108-NYZ072>075-078>081-176>179-212300- /O.NEW.KOKX.BZ.A.0001.160123T1100Z-160124T1800Z/ HUDSON-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-EASTERN UNION- NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)- KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK- SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS- NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU- 342 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016 ...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. * LOCATIONS...THE FIVE BOROUGHS OF NEW YORK CITY...COASTAL PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...AND LONG ISLAND. * HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW ALONG WITH STRONG AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WINDS. * ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 12 INCHES. * WINDS...NORTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH. * TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S. * VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES. * TIMING...SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. * IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG WINDS WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS LIKELY. SECONDARY AND TERTIARY ROADS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE. STRONG WINDS MAY DOWN POWER LINES AND TREE LIMBS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS.

Blizzard watch for NYC and LI.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY 342 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016 ...NOR`EASTER TO IMPACT THE TRI-STATE AREA THIS WEEKEND... NJZ006-105>108-NYZ072>075-078>081-176>179-212300- /O.NEW.KOKX.BZ.A.0001.160123T1100Z-160124T1800Z/ HUDSON-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-EASTERN UNION- NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)- KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK- SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS- NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU- 342 AM EST THU JAN 21 2016 ...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. * LOCATIONS...THE FIVE BOROUGHS OF NEW YORK CITY...COASTAL PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...AND LONG ISLAND. * HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW ALONG WITH STRONG AND POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WINDS. * ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 8 TO 12 INCHES. * WINDS...NORTHEAST 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH. * TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S. * VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES. * TIMING...SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. * IMPACTS...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TRAVEL DUE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL AND STRONG WINDS WITH WHITEOUT CONDITIONS LIKELY. SECONDARY AND TERTIARY ROADS MAY BECOME IMPASSABLE. STRONG WINDS MAY DOWN POWER LINES AND TREE LIMBS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A BLIZZARD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND EXTREMELY POOR VISIBILITIES. THIS CAN LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS AND MAKE TRAVEL VERY DANGEROUS.

Not sure if I would have went for a Blizzard Watch just yet, probably would have gone with a Winter Storm Watch and could always upgrade later once conditions are more certain.

Does anyone think these short term models are handling this correctly? The globals have this storm skipping east, toward the convection.. The NAM clearly doesn't do that.

Been thinking this too, but to discount every other model, especially the euro and gfs... eh. Kinda pushing it, unless of course, theyre all handling something wrong, which would make some of our top performing models over the last decade semi useless for a forecast. Lol.

Upton apparently sees something. Blizzard watches posted, with much higher totals than mt holly at the moment for central and ne nj.

No idea what to think to be honest.

Does anyone think these short term models are handling this correctly?  The globals have this storm skipping east, toward the convection.. The NAM clearly doesn't do that.  If the NAM is on to something- this event would shut the city down.

I'll take the nam over the euro in this time range any day. Euro is not a good model close to the event.stick with the nam or serfs.

Archived